Nikon 50mm f1.8G lens thread

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Oops! I did it again! I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to get one in our local store. It came with a 3 year warranty here in Japan. I hope I'll be able to spend some quality time with my new family member. :rolleyes:

BTW, Marcel - I did it before Monday arrived. :congratulatory:

Thank you Nikon for satisfying my NAS whenever it attacks me. LOL!

New Nikon 012 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

New Nikon 023 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Last edited:

carguy

It's cool to have a Nikon specific store :)

So, what did you get? I don't think empty bags come with a warranty :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiskeyman

Re: Confession of a shopaholic

I'd be in serious financial trouble if there was a store like that within 100 miles of where I live. I can look, but can't touch on the internet, and everyone should know that NAS is much more chronic and acute when "essence of Nikon " is absorbed through the skin.

And I love the "white glove" service; wish more here would do the same.

WM

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head

WM- Co-incidentally, this weekend is the last weekend for the Japanese summer vacation. They were offering 10% off, so I also included a Nikon NC filter and it came out for $210 USD (converted) for the Nikon 50mm f1.8G lens.

crycocyon

Congrats, I sure wish we had a local store like that down the street, hehe.

(don't forget to update your sig line ;) )

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

WM- Co-incidentally, this weekend is the last weekend for the Japanese summer vacation. They were offering 10% off, so I also included a Nikon NC filter and it came out for $210 USD (converted) for the Nikon 50mm f1.8G lens.

A very good deal for you. I hope you enjoy using it and we look forward to your posting photos taken with it. I'm interested to hear what you think of its performance on your D800E.

WM

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

​That is a bargain Glenn, I'm glad you got it and sure it will make your "light kit" more enjoyable.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

A very good deal for you. I hope you enjoy using it and we look forward to your posting photos taken with it. I'm interested to hear what you think of its performance on your D800E.
WM

The bokeh is actually very good for this lens especially if you shoot a lot closer to the subject. I kinda prefer to shoot it at f2.8 just to add more sharpness. It will be useful for me when using video also.

Landscape sample while walking around. f5.6

Nikon 50mm f1.8G 037 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Thanks Marcel. It actually balance nicely with the D800 and 50mm f1.8G similar to the film era.

And it's also very good as a "walk around" lens. If you ever get a chance, just take off with only this lens and it will force you to see things differently without zooming in and out. You'll be surprised at how creativity can be improved by using just a fixed lens.

Jimx7

Marcel
I totally agree just go out with one lens it will force you into learning.
and It is a lot lighter and you will not forget anything left behind.
Still got to love the white glove treatment.
Think the US camera retailers could learn a lot from the stores in Japan.
Just saying, no nead to bear arms LOL

Oops! I did it again! I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to get one in our local store. It came with a 3 year warranty here in Japan. I hope I'll be able to spend some quality time with my new family member. :rolleyes:

BTW, Marcel - I did it before Monday arrived. :congratulatory:

Thank you Nikon for satisfying my NAS whenever it attacks me. LOL!

New Nikon 012 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

New Nikon 023 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

About the wife.....Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

And it's also very good as a "walk around" lens. If you ever get a chance, just take off with only this lens and it will force you to see things differently without zooming in and out. You'll be surprised at how creativity can be improved by using just a fixed lens.

That's what I've found out with this 50mm lens Marcel, although I've been doing this with the 85mm lens before.