Exposure?

gcm89

So I have had my D3200 for a few days. I had a Canon T3i before that and I noticed that when I took photos off my camera their exposure was usually much better.

When I upload my photos with my D3200 I have noticed they are all much darker. Any tips? Or is this me.

Here is an example of a photo I just took. F/5, ISO 800, and 1/200.

DSC_0101.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
Are you shooting JPG or RAW? Also, is your monitor calibrated? It could be a simple difference between your LCD vs. monitor for brightness. However, if you're shooting RAW then it could be the difference between the camera's JPG compression and your computers version.

Actually this shot looks pretty good for exposure. The banana is the right color and the scene is probably dark. Try shooting outside in bright sun and lets see how that looks. Also what mode are you shooting in?

gcm89

I am shooting in RAW and in Manual (trying to learn). I have noticed that the photos look much better on the camera LCD then they do when I bring them into my computer. They always look much darker on my computer.

I am using iPhoto for post-processing (can't afford anything better right now) lol :(

Dave_W

The Dude
The reason is because the camera has to process the RAW file into a JPG in order for you to see it in the LCD. And in the process it adjusts things like brightness, contrast, etc., however the RAW file you see on your monitor is just that, a RAW file w/o any adjustments being made on it.

brads

I am shooting in RAW and in Manual (trying to learn). I have noticed that the photos look much better on the camera LCD then they do when I bring them into my computer. They always look much darker on my computer.

I am using iPhoto for post-processing (can't afford anything better right now) lol :(

Hi gcm89. Have a look at Gimp (for the Mac) GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program It's free and has loads of features. bit of a learning curve but it's pretty good. Keep up your posts! Cheers, Brad :)

brads

So I have had my D3200 for a few days. I had a Canon T3i before that and I noticed that when I took photos off my camera their exposure was usually much better.

When I upload my photos with my D3200 I have noticed they are all much darker. Any tips? Or is this me.

Here is an example of a photo I just took. F/5, ISO 800, and 1/200.

View attachment 48167

You could also try posting your photos in the D3200 Forum. http://nikonites.com/d3200/15600-photos-d3200.html#axzz2cDuEpCTt
Cheers, Brad :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, I think that you have forgotten the basic of exposure and metering. Your camera's light meter wants to even out the scene to 18% grey. When you shoot something light you have to compensate by over exposing for the scene. But in this case, the picture can easily be improved by simple post processing. All the information is there so it's just a question of a few minutes of work.

Horoscope Fish

Color balance is definitely off. Exposure, I'd say is about a quarter stop, maybe half a stop under, but the banana is already close to blowing out, it looks to me. Quick correction attempt:

Attachments

• 48167d1376714110-exposure-dsc_0101.jpg
    48167d1376714110-exposure-dsc_0101.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 83

gcm89

Wow those are way better!! I've been using iPhoto. Should I try to use one of those other programs? Thanks for the help!