autofocus issues

ccachccachia

I have had my d90 for about 4 years now. I love it and have done some courses, got very familiar with all the manual settings etc and even started a little bit of a business taking family photos. All going well until a shoot a few months back where a lot of photos were out of focus. I did some tests and discovered my camera had a pretty bad backfocus problem. I called the shop where I bought it, they told me to bring it in and it was sent off for repair. A pc board was diagnosed as the problem and a replacement installed at a cost of $260. Got the camera back and focus issues were unchanged. Sent it back under their warranty, they again 'repaired' it and I got it back. Again, focus issues unchanged. It's so bad I cannot get a photos of my kids with their eyes even remotely in focus. The problem occurs with both my portrait lenses, is not dependent on f stop/depth of field and happens regardless of which focus point I choose, although someare worse than others. I am so despondent and wonder if I just have to throw this camera out and somehow try and find the funds for a new one. It sure as eggs won't be a Nikon after this fiasco. If anyone has any ideas or experiences that might help I'd love to hear them. Thank you!

WhiteLight

Are you certain your camera shop is actually sending your camera to Nikon or are they feeding you stories to get your money?
Try a Nikon service center close to your place & if it gets fixed you may give your camera shop a piece of your mind, and maybe more

FastGlass

If you had a Chevy and had problems would you never buy another? Why choose another brand because of one reacurring issue? It sounds like the camera shop is not doing what their saying. I'd try another shop.

Bill16

After 4 years of good service I would think you'd like Nikon, and consider buying a new Nikon if needed. But to each his own I guess. :)
If it were me, I'd take this let down as a chance to upgrade to a better Nikon. But that's just me? Lol :D

Horoscope Fish

I have had my d90 for about 4 years now. I love it and have done some courses, got very familiar with all the manual settings etc and even started a little bit of a business taking family photos. All going well until a shoot a few months back where a lot of photos were out of focus. I did some tests and discovered my camera had a pretty bad back focus problem. I called the shop where I bought it, they told me to bring it in and it was sent off for repair. A pc board was diagnosed as the problem and a replacement installed at a cost of $260. Got the camera back and focus issues were unchanged. Sent it back under their warranty, they again 'repaired' it and I got it back. Again, focus issues unchanged. It's so bad I cannot get a photos of my kids with their eyes even remotely in focus. The problem occurs with both my portrait lenses, is not dependent on f stop/depth of field and happens regardless of which focus point I choose, although some are worse than others. I am so despondent and wonder if I just have to throw this camera out and somehow try and find the funds for a new one. It sure as eggs won't be a Nikon after this fiasco. If anyone has any ideas or experiences that might help I'd love to hear them. Thank you!
Sounds to me like your gripe is with your repair shop. Back-focus is not something mysterious and subjective, it's a repeatable, measurable problem that any reputable camera repair facility should be able to diagnose and correct. I understand your frustration and should you decide to upgrade buy what makes you happy, be it Nikon or something else. But in keeping to the issue at hand it sounds to me like your "repair shop" is anything but; and if I were you, I'd be having some very firm conversation with them. Polite, but firm. Because I would not be paying them to haphazardly throw parts at my camera in hopes that something "sticks", I'd be paying them to correct a problem.