Are my macro photos in focus? Photos attached. Newbie needing advice!

adamandbean

Hello. I have a D7000 and older AF 105mm 2.8D (not VR).
I am new to macro and it seems I have trouble focusing. I use automatic Spot focus- one point. I do not use a tripod.

Are these photos in focus?

Please loook at my photos and tell me what to do!
Thank you,

Adam

Attachments

• DSC_3640.jpg
    DSC_3640.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_3842.jpg
    DSC_3842.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_4233.jpg
    DSC_4233.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 139

Moab Man

First one kind of - parts of it. Others are not.

Post the exif data.

My suspicion without that data is that you may be focusing but due to the fact you're hand holding your slightest movement (breathing, natural sway) could be taking you out of focus.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Yes, your focus looks fine. What I think you're having a problem with is the depth of field. Unfortunately, at a macro level your DoF is a very narrow slice relative to your subject matter. Keep in mind that DoF is product of both aperture and distance to your subject. So the closer you are the narrower will be your DoF. Stopping down the lens will help as well as increasing your distance from the subject and then crop down to your desired closeness. This DoF issue is why many of us have moved to focus stacking for close macro subjects. That said, stacking doesn't really go well with insect images.

WhiteLight

F/5.6 is too large & the DOF is going to be extremely thin.
That could be the reason. Try f/11 and above

Another thought-
macro lenses have a certain minimum focus distance.
if you go closer than that, you will not be able to obtain focus

Moab Man

Your shutter speed is fast enough, and like Dave said, macro has an incredibly shallow depth of field. If your camera were resting against something solid - leaning against a wall, bipod (using elbows), monopod or tripod - I believe the photos would have the sharpness you're looking for. I entirely believe it goes back to the razor thin depth of field and your sway.

Do this, find something of the same approximate size as the insects and set your camera on something so that it is the same distance as you were from these insects. Now take the picture using the camera timer so you're not touching it. Focus the same way you did the insects, same iso, and aperture. Now compare the two. I will bet that you find the sharpness you're looking for.

Higher number apertures with lots of light is always a good thing to expand that depth of field.

Fred Kingston

Adam... A tripod will greatly improve your shots from a couple of perspectives... First, it greatly improves your stability... which will improve your images... secondarily, it gives you a base to work from... I won't go into the issue of DOF because the others have already done an excellent job discussing that issue... Once on a tripod, and understanding the depth of field issue, you can take multiple shots of the subject, manually changing your focus with each shot... The technique is referred to as focus stacking... there is software that stacks the multiple images you took with the different focus points, and creates a single image with all the parts in focus... If you search on YouTube for "focus stacking" you'll find many tutorials that take you through the process... and show you the results...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Adam, even with a tripod, if there is any hint of wind, the small branches will move and get your carefully focused shot out of focus.

I've found that when I'm doing macro outside and there is some wind is that I have to take multiple shots (sometimes even in high speed mode) and then I can make my focus selection.

​Focus, frame and then shoot like crazy because this is the most difficult part in macro. This is where a flash with a diffuser helps.

Moab Man

Lots of good advice. Single biggest point is that macro photography is difficult and takes a lot of practice to get your technique down. Don't get frustrated and the more you shoot the better you'll get. It's a difficult skill.

mikew_RIP

For sharp images with better DOF a tripod is the answer,if you dont have one or dont want to go down that road you could try,800 iso shutter priority 1/250 sec this could gain you a couple of stops and the D7000 isn't bad at 800 iso.
The other answer with no tripod is a TTL ring flash but then to gain the full benefit ie very small apertures you would have black backgrounds,although i have used mine just to gain maybe one stop and the back grounds are not too dark then.

mike

Just-Clayton

My biggest tip. Use manual focus. 90% of the time I use at least a monopod. When I get the subject in range I would creep in or lean in with the camera and get focus that way. not even using the focus adjust on the camera.

evan447

i have often used the d7000/105mm af-d combo and find it to be particularly good. technique is extremely important for macro, as are camera settings.
as long as you have decent light do not be afraid to raise your iso setting. (no problem with the d7000). reduce aperture size to f11 or less. try and raise your shutter speed to at least 1/200th. use a monopod, when kneeling for insect shots you can brace it against your leg/knee.
always focus on the eye. use af-s, single point for focus. when you have locked focus either move the camera a little, (lock and rock) or give a little manual adjustment.
do not be afraid to stand back a little as you can enlarge the pic in pp. this can help with dof and makes it less likely to scare the critter.
you could also research stacking techniques. there is a program called zerene, (i think) freely available on the web.
have fun!

singlerosa_RIP

Another tip is to try to get the subject to be in the same plane as your sensor. So, instead of shooting an insect from the front, try from the side, making sure the horizontal and vertical plane are parallel to your sensor.