Firmware to memory card question

Doc

So ive downloaded the firmware from Nikon, now im trying to get it on my camera' memory card so ive connect my camera to pc, opened up, Computer\D7100\Removable storage\DCIM, and tried to copy and paste the firmware over to it, for some reason it wont let me copy anything onto it.. any help please
regards
josh

Horoscope Fish

Correct. You should always format the card in camera.
Yes you should.

Also, formatting the card in-camera is what creates the DCIM folder, and it shouldn't be hurting anything by being there, but you don't want to put the new firmware file in that folder as has already been mentioned.

The question is why you can't copy the file over. Have you tried dragging and dropping? When the copy fails, are you getting an error message? If so, what is it saying?

Doc

Still no luck, strange thing is ive found my card reader out, so I managed to copy the firmware onto it using that,
But when I place it in the camera and go to firmware version there no update. so I check to see if its on the card using my camera, I go my Computer\D7100\Removable storage, theres nothing showing up on it apart from the DCIM folder, but in the card reader it is there?

Dave_W

The Dude
More dumb questions - are you sure you have the right firmware update and are you sure you didn't download the Mac version to your PC or visa versa? And please don't be offended by such dumb questions, I'm just trying to eliminate the easy answers.

donaldjledet

Dave that could be it cauce when i first did the firmware update i had made that mistake.
wasn't paying attention and uploaded the p.c. version on the mac

Cowleystjames

Nothing wrong with formatting on pc then transferring card back to camera. But then format in the camera.

Don't look back, you can't change anything.

Dave_W

The Dude
its the right download for windows 7, im sure

camera says C 1.00 L 1.008

You know, I had something similar to this happen to me a few updates ago. For some stupid reason I had to put the firmware update file on my desktop and THEN transfer it over to the memory card. I know it sounds silly but once I put the firmware on the desktop it all worked just fine.

Doc

I feel so dumb, its because you cant upgrade with the camera usb lead pluged in Doh
Anyways she is updated as we speak, thank you for trying to help
josh