Cleaning the sensor help

Megharupa

Hello,
Just received my D600 back from Nikon after 3 weeks. They replaced the shutter, adjusted the focus and did a general cleaning.
After 6 months and 8000 clicks the spots were quite noticeable @ F 11 and above. Now, the camera seems to focus far better than before and no dust.I use a 50MM 1.4 lens and an older 70 -210MM.

Question:
Nikon does not recommend wet cleaning the sensor, just using an air blower, why then all the information on wet cleaning if it is not recommended by the manufacture?
If I never see any spots in my photos again that would be great, but I am getting ready for the worst and hoping for the best.

I have a D5000 with 30K + shots that has been in every dusty environment you could think of. No dust spots yet.
regards

evan447

yes, and if you mess it up you pay for the damage, and possibly lose your warranty!
it is best to be extra careful when changing lenses. the built in sensor cleaning mode can help and a regular blow down with a rocket blower helps too. never use compressed air. do not change lenses in an environment where condensation can form, eat your greens and avoid yellow snow.

Last edited:

480sparky

Car manufacturers always say to bring your auto in to one of their 'authorized service centers' for stuff as simple as an oil change, too.

It's not that Nikon thinks you're too stupid to do it.... they just want your money. It's that simple.

If you can change the oil in your car, wet cleaning a sensor is stupid easy. And how many shade-tree DIY oil changers ever even think, "Gee, if I screw this up, I'll blow the engine....."? Seriously: how many?

If I had a dollar for every wet cleaning I've done over the years, I could probably get one of the Trinity lenses.