Rokinon / samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye

Samsonite

I'm still searching for a wide single lens for landscapes and night photography. I've looked at loads of different options, from the tokina 11-16 and 12 - 24, sigma 10mm, nikon 10mm, Nikon 10-24, and now recently came across this rokinon / samyang 8mm fisheye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Samsonite

I've seen a few reviews which seem very positive. Does anyone here have first hand experience with it? It's super cheap but has no autofocus or in camera aperture control...

oldsalt

I'm considering buy the Samyang 14mm f2.8 as an architectural/landscape lens ... call me "old fashioned" but I actually like a lens that I have to focus myself and set the aperture ... reminds me of the "old days" when you had to know something about photography in order to get a good picture...
cheers

480sparky

I'm considering buy the Samyang 14mm f2.8 as an architectural/landscape lens ................

Don't.

Unless you like wavy lines. The lens has terrible compound ("mustache") distortion. It is correctable, but you end up with the FOV of a 17-18mm lens.

oldsalt

Thank you ... I'll look into this ... this is the beauty of this forum - a wealth of knowledge and opinions.
Thanks once again....

cheers

Epoc

It's a fisheye lens, not a wide. Here's what a pic from it looks like. If this is the look your after, it's a nice sharp, well priced lens. Lots of people use it for creating 360 x 360 panoramas. You can use program's like Panorama Tools to remap the image to a normal looking picture, but you will loose some width.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376817327.318358.jpg

BackdoorArts

I have one as well. B&H or Amazon have one that has a Nikon chip for Aperture control. Nice lens, but probably a little dark for night sky stuff.

AC016

I'm still searching for a wide single lens for landscapes and night photography. I've looked at loads of different options, from the tokina 11-16 and 12 - 24, sigma 10mm, nikon 10mm, Nikon 10-24, and now recently came across this rokinon / samyang 8mm fisheye.

I am not sure you will want a fisheye lens for landscapes. Spend your money more wisely and get something like the Sigma 10-20 or even the Tamron 10-24 (I had this lens and it is very good). The only think I can say about the Samyang is that they have an excellent lens in X mount. It is apparently an excellent lens and many people like it. If you really like doing interior architecture shots, a fisheye may be for you. But remember that things will look distorted. I saw some pics of a guy who used a Samyang in x mount and his photos were gorgeous. Again, it's not really for landscapes.