D600 questions-critical issue.

rocketman122

if I use an SB910 or SB 800 can I run it at HSS/fp speeds for outdoors?

I was just about to buy it when I noticed this and wanted to know from others. there will be times I need to shoot outdoors and want some fill flash for my B&G. and I shoot pretty wide open so this is critical. anyway to work around this to get fill flash, besides using a reflector? which is too much of a pain to use when the BG are moving and doing different poses. it would slow me down. I dont care much for the 1/200 sync speed. indoors it isnt an issue. outdoors, and flash big issue.

can it even run CLS? use my speedlights as off camera? would this change anything if I used the tongnuo 622n? meaning can I get HSS with the camera? im guessing id get a line across the image if I shot the flash at high shutter speeds, or even no flash at all, correct?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Flash syncs at 1/250 max for most Nikon DSLR except for the D40 if my memory is correct. D40 can go higher than that. Your can use Manual mode on your speed light and control the output just enough to get rid of the shadows.

BTW, what is BG?

rocketman122

BG is bride groom

​you didnt answer my concerns. I know the 200 is max sync. Its the least issue I have. Take a look again and give me your feedbacK if you happen to know.

rocketman122

Never head the term auto in fp/hss. With the d3(changed in the menu) i can shoot at speeds over 250. THe flash shows ttl fp and I can shoot outdoors for fill with reduced power. Focal plane flash or high speed sync. ThAts what im asking about the flash. Why isnt anyone addressing anything I asked about?

Nikkon

Never head the term auto in fp/hss. With the d3(changed in the menu) i can shoot at speeds over 250. THe flash shows ttl fp and I can shoot outdoors for fill with reduced power. Focal plane flash or high speed sync. ThAts what im asking about the flash. Why isnt anyone addressing anything I asked about?
Dit you read the article I posted? I still think that is what you are asking for...

What is Auto FP flash mode?

It is a way to bypass the maximum shutter sync speed limit with flash - mainly to allow flash with ISO 200 at like 1/6400 second f/2.8 in bright sunshine.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you look at Nikon's specs for the D600, it lists the following:

X-Sync Speed 1/200
Top FP High Speed Sync
Up to 1/4000

Is that info you wanted? I can verify the D600 has this although I haven't used it yet.

rocketman122

Say, "Please.."

haha..im stressed for time.

@Nikkon. I know what FP is. have used it many times. thank you. im asking about the d600. whether it has it. dpreviews doesnt show cls/fp listed in its spec list. im just wondering if it has.

WayneF

I was just about to buy it when I noticed this and wanted to know from others. there will be times I need to shoot outdoors and want some fill flash for my B&G. and I shoot pretty wide open so this is critical. anyway to work around this to get fill flash, besides using a reflector? which is too much of a pain to use when the BG are moving and doing different poses. it would slow me down. I dont care much for the 1/200 sync speed. indoors it isnt an issue. outdoors, and flash big issue.

can it even run CLS? use my speedlights as off camera? would this change anything if I used the tongnuo 622n? meaning can I get HSS with the camera? im guessing id get a line across the image if I shot the flash at high shutter speeds, or even no flash at all, correct?

Yes, of course, D600 and SB-900 can do Auto FP HSS. Same E1 menu as the others. Yes, including off camera using Commander in D600.

Nikon user manuals:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

HSS flash range (and also Commander trigger range) will be limited outdoors in sun, no heroics, but you should be able to make do at reasonably close distances. Auto FP may work better there than the commander triggers.

You seem to understand the sync basics well, but see Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Auto FP and HSS about Auto FP, in detail.

I have no knowledege of the Yongnuo. They have different models with different capabilities.

Last edited:

rocketman122

I already posted that link but it wasn't helping OP. In my opinion a very useful article.

saw that article a while back. I read it through and saw it as very interesting. nothing I didnt know. been using fp for a while. it doesnt answer my question though. youre talking about the FP flash. im talking about the D600..does it have the ability to do FP flash. can I use the built in flash to fire another CLS flash off camera? can it sync in fp with an sb800 or 910? whether its on the shoe or off.

I didnt see it in the spec sheet at dpreview. not sure why the repost though. im stressed to buy and its the only thing thats making me hesitate.

rocketman122

If you look at Nikon's specs for the D600, it lists the following:

X-Sync Speed 1/200
Top FP High Speed Sync
Up to 1/4000

Is that info you wanted? I can verify the D600 has this although I haven't used it yet.

OK! great. thats what I wanted to know. thank you. I can run my 622n to fire off the sb800 off camera if I need to if the camera flash cant be used as a master. no big deal

just wanted to make sure it can work with my 800/910 on the camera shoe and sync in fp to higher than 200 speeds. great!

WayneF

im talking about the D600..does it have the ability to do FP flash. can I use the built in flash to fire another CLS flash off camera? can it sync in fp with an sb800 or 910? whether its on the shoe or off.

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Menu E1. D600 is a $2000 model. Omission seems unthinkable. :)

rocketman122

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Menu E1. D600 is a $2000 model. Omission seems unthinkable. :)

Thank you! its selling refurnished at $1600 and ill add mack intl diamond warranty for $210. I know that shutter will die with so much use from weddings. sell the kit lens. getting a 28-70 AFS. love that beast.

and I see e3 can run the built in flash as commander! lovely. Yes, I though they would leave it out because its an entry FF.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I can run my 622n to fire off the sb800 off camera if I need to if the camera flash cant be used as a master. no big deal

The Nikon link I posted earlier says this:

Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)
Built-in flash Commander Mode
CLS Supported

Isn't the Commander Mode how the flashes work with a master? If so, then you are covered there, too. ;)

Nikkon

saw that article a while back. I read it through and saw it as very interesting. nothing I didnt know. been using fp for a while. it doesnt answer my question though. youre talking about the FP flash. im talking about the D600..does it have the ability to do FP flash. can I use the built in flash to fire another CLS flash off camera? can it sync in fp with an sb800 or 910? whether its on the shoe or off.

I didnt see it in the spec sheet at dpreview. not sure why the repost though. im stressed to buy and its the only thing thats making me hesitate.
Ok, probably got your question wrong.

rocketman122

CLS Supported

Isn't the Commander Mode how the flashes work with a master? If so, then you are covered there, too. ;)

lovely. thought they crippled the phone because its cheap.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

CLS Supported

lovely. thought they crippled the phone because its cheap.

Umm, you lost me there mate, but I hope you've found your answer somewhere here in this thread. :)