New 7100 user, help

Doc

I am trying to select focus points myself, using the multi selector to select the focus points, but nothing seems to happen
I rotate the focus selector lock to . this must be the white dot below the lock, I then look through the viewfinder, and move the multi selector left right up down, but nothing happens
can anybody tell me were im going wrong plz?
kind regards
Josh

Horoscope Fish

to select focus points when looking through the viewfinder you will need to have half-pressed the shutter button.
What focus mode are you in that you need to do a half-press to select focus points? Shooting in aperture priority using AF-A, and d9 or d21, all I have to do is press the four-way selector switch on the back to move the center point of the focus array. Pressing the AF/M Focus button shows the entire array highlighted in the viewfinder.

PapaST

What focus mode are you in that you need to do a half-press to select focus points? Shooting in aperture priority using AF-A, and d9 or d21, all I have to do is press the four-way selector switch on the back to move the center point of the focus array. Pressing the AF/M Focus button shows the entire array highlighted in the viewfinder.....

I think evan447 is refering to when the camera is on but in a "rest state". When the top display and viewfinder do not display aperture and shutter speed it has the focus point displayed but you can't move the selector to change it. You have to half press to "wake" the camera (when it's showing aperture/shutter speed in the viewfinder and top display). That's when you can move the focus point. It's like a 10 second delay before the camera goes into a "rest state". At least that's how it's set on my D7100.

evan447

its easy to set up for this. just hold down the button on the af selector and move the command dials for desired function. i was in Aperture mode. took me 30 secs to do without opening the manual. (it is the same as the d7000).