Which teleconverter?

jackass

Forum has suggested that a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 N-AF 1.4X would be a reasonable converter for a AF-S Nikkor 55-300 1:4.5-5.6 GED. What would be the better choice between the Kenko and a Nikon AF-S TC-14E 11.also 1.4X. Costwise I cannot go wild so it must be either one of these or something compatible to my lens within the same price range. Any advice for this Phototechnologically disadvantaged member will be appreciated.

evan447

a teleconverter on the 55-300vr is not recommended, although the kenko may work in very good light. the nikon tc 14 is keyed, this prevents it being fitted to certain lenses. it will not fit the 55-300vr or any consumer grade zoom.

evan447

even if the tc 14ii is discontinued its replacement is unlikely to work with consumer zooms. the only other nikon option may be the ft-1 adapter, but it is only for use with the nikon 1 series of cameras. the ft-1 gives 2.7x without loss of aperture. you keep af and vr too. it will also give 810mm at the long end of the 55-300vr.

WayneF

Forum has suggested that a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 N-AF 1.4X would be a reasonable converter for a AF-S Nikkor 55-300 1:4.5-5.6 GED. What would be the better choice between the Kenko and a Nikon AF-S TC-14E 11.also 1.4X.

Caution: Regarding the Nikon teleconverters, there are combinations of lenses which are no-no, this being one.

Be sure to FIRST read the Nikon compatibility information (available on the B&H page for the specific teleconverter).

See http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/...eleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

Says because of the way some lens extend their rear elements backwards, and the way these teleconverters extend their front element forwards, there can be contact and glass damage if used in other combinations.

I don't know about the Kenko, I assume third party stuff has to try to be more compatible. But Nikon is good quality because they can do what is good on specific lenses, instead of what will fit any lens known to man. (my own notions).