D800 to zero!!!

Belo

What was i thinking!!!!

About a month back i sold all my gear, D800, trinity set, 24-120mm 4, 50mm 1.4, 105mm 2.8, SB910 and some odds and ends.

The reason for this was that i travel a lot and cannot always carry my kit so i thought i would look at something small. Decided to get a Fujifilm XE-1 which i only had for a week when i realised there was something fishy with the lens as i kept on getting spots on my pics. Fast forward it turned out that 5 other lenses in the store had dust inside so the store said i could choose something else instead. I opted for a D7100, 18-200mm and 35mm 1.8, i guess my reason behind this was that i could use the18-200mm for travel.

Man i miss my D800 everyday and suppose i made the biggest mistake of my life!!! What was i thinking!!!

What to do? Keep the D7100 or start building up my fx kit.......

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4

Belo

Thanks for reminding me will update.

Perhaps i should boot the zoom and look at primes. Pretty keen on 85mm 1.8D for now. The primes are small and would be easy to travel with i guess.

Steve B

If that was a question they are listed in my signature but the FX lenses I have so far are:

50mm f/1.4
105mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/4
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

Nathan Lanni

Why not both? 4 out of the 7 lenses I have for my D7100 are FX lenses. Planning for the future. :)

+1

@ Belo - Aside from the lens issues, do you feel you would have been happy with the Fujifilm XE-1?

Some members here got that style as a second camera. I hear there is a trend toward this stye of camera so I'm curious to hear from someone who went there and back.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What was i thinking!!!!

About a month back i sold all my gear, D800, trinity set, 24-120mm 4, 50mm 1.4, 105mm 2.8, SB910 and some odds and ends.

Man i miss my D800 everyday and suppose i made the biggest mistake of my life!!! What was i thinking!!!

What to do? Keep the D7100 or start building up my fx kit.......

​:indecisiveness:

i'm almost speechless. If I could smack you on the back of your head, I would. LOL!

jwstl

If that's the biggest mistake in your life then you've lead a relatively mistake free life.

I bought a relatively inexpensive mirrorless camera to take as a second camera on a recent trip to Ireland and I loved many things about it but there many I didn't.
I love the weight and size of the body and lenses and the IQ was very good. I did not like that it lacked a viewfinder and dials for changing aperture, shutter etc; all settings were made via touchscreen LCD. I can see a future where my DSLRs will be used for local shooting and trips by car while the mirrorless will be used for trips by plane and for use as a carry with me at all times camera. But it must have a viewfinder and controls; I can't get used to the LCD when handholding and for changing settings.

Steve B

Before I bought my D7100 I shot Olympus, both Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds and I still have all of my gear. I use the OM-D EM-5 a lot when I want a smaller, lighter camera. The EVF on it is pretty good and the primes are excellent. For macro work the 60mm f/2.8 is a really nice lens. If I can, I use my D7100 but there are times when the EM-5 is more convenient.

Belo

+1

@ Belo - Aside from the lens issues, do you feel you would have been happy with the Fujifilm XE-1?

Some members here got that style as a second camera. I hear there is a trend toward this stye of camera so I'm curious to hear from someone who went there and back.

@ Nate - I personally dont think I would have been happy, the low light ability and AF speed was just not to my liking, unfortunately here I could not try out the camera before I bought it and I guess was lucky they took it back. I think as a secondary travel camera it would have been perfect. In my opinion it would never replace my D800. I also only had the kit lens and was actually waiting for some other but didn't get so far.

Last edited:

Roy1961

Contributor
i dont think you will be happy until you get the D800 and lens back, but in the mean time have fun with the D7100.

bet you dont make the same mistake twice:D

Belo

i dont think you will be happy until you get the D800 and lens back, but in the mean time have fun with the D7100.

bet you dont make the same mistake twice:D

I guess its not a bad idea to build up my lenses again and stay with the D7100 body until I can get an FX body again.

Will definitely not bump my head twice.....

Nathan Lanni

I guess its not a bad idea to build up my lenses again and stay with the D7100 body until I can get an FX body again.

Will definitely not bump my head twice.....

What lead up to changing to the different format - was it impulsive or had you been thinking about for a while.

I'm going to venture a guess and think it took a while to get your d800 and lens collection. What body did you have before the d800?

Belo

What lead up to changing to the different format - was it impulsive or had you been thinking about for a while.

I'm going to venture a guess and think it took a while to get your d800 and lens collection. What body did you have before the d800?

I wanted something smaller for travelling. I should have kept the kit and just got something for smaller if I had known what I do now.

I came from Canon 2 years ago and started off with a D7000, then moved to D600 and ended up with a D800 which I had for about 8 months. The D600 was the first one in Dubai and as the dust issue was something new they wanted to replace it instead so I paid in the difference and upgraded to the D800.

Fred Kingston

I don't see the problem here. When you sold all your DSLR stuff, you got money for it. Use that money to go buy another DSLR... Simple. Glad to have helped you solve this complex problem. ;)

Belo

I don't see the problem here. When you sold all your DSLR stuff, you got money for it. Use that money to go buy another DSLR... Simple. Glad to have helped you solve this complex problem. ;)

Indeed I did but living in a market that is discount orientated you tend to loose a great deal. I bought the Fiji film and some assesories with some of the money and also had to pay in for the D7100 and the additional lenses when the store took back the Fiji film.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Fred Kingston

Well... at least you're on the right track... Next time, don't jump off the bridge, and check with us here to be sure you're buying the right stuff... We'll help you spend money... :eek: