help needed taking landscapes with coloured skies!!

markD90

Hi
iv been taking loads of pics with my D90 for the past few months and never got the lovelly coloured skies as in orange or red to come out in my pics!!

WHY???

iv got the grads and ND filters and now a polarizer but still no go!

what am i doing wrong?
im using the camera on M,A and P and still makes no difference!

please help!

ohkphoto

Snow White
the camera is set on jpeg and RAW

So are you getting the same shot as a jpeg and a raw file and they both look the same? Raw files will look a little duller (sometimes) because the camera does not do any processing. The camera DOES process jpeg files, so I think Michael's link above is a good place to start regarding camera control setting. I don't think I'm wrong in this, but it seems that the jpeg shots should be a little more vibrant if you have the controls set correctly. I shoot raw with a D2x and still get orange and blue skies to my liking.

Also try stopping down a little. Maybe the camera is overexposing the skies.

Another issue could be the lens. What are you shooting with? I used to use an
18-55mm DX lens and was blaming my camera for dull pictures. Got better when I went with a better lens.

I would recommend you look into some post processing software, too. This is your "digital darkroom". I use Lightroom because it's easy, a great orgainizer and non-destructive. But there are others out there and some are free.

Best Regards

markD90

I have a sigma 10-20 which should not be a problem and sometimes use my 18-105 for it as well depending on the shot!
jpeg and raw seems to yield the same result! I've changed the saturation settings as per the link above and will try that today!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Sometimes you just need to "play around" with the setting until you get it right.
Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Best Regards

markD90

Check to see if your setting is on VIVID. This really helped me a lot And also set your white balance to full sun..

it was set on vivid and i cranked up the saturation.....now iv got a landscape setting and it has the sat on +1 and the sharp on +1 and its perfect!!

Joseph Bautsch

You will never get the really great sunrise or sunset colors you are looking for using jpeg and in camera adjustments. Those settings are just to limiting. The best way is to shoot is in raw so that the color can be brought out in post processing. Shooting in RAW will capture all the data available at the scene and provide the best opportunity to get the shot you are looking for. Both Lightroom 3 or Aperture 3 have post processing adjustments that work great. One method to get maximum color is to shoot a three shot bracket that can be merged into an HDR. The camera settings should be, raw with the white balance set on cloudy or open shade with a neutral density filter to reduce glare and bring out detail. The shade or cloudy WB will enhance the warm colors of the scene. A CPL filter will not work as a CPL when shooting directly into a rising or setting sun. It will however act as a ND filter to reduce glare. If you are serious about your photography then it's probably time to consider getting Lightroom or, if a Mac person, Aperture and start learning post processing.

Joohn

markD90,

Its time for your to spend time behind post processing my friend. Light-room is really easy. Give a try. Plenty of video tutorials are available over the net to get going :)

jengajoh

What was your color balance set to? Is it on Auto? set for incandescent? this happened to a girl in my photo class, turned out she had it set for incandescent light.

Joseph Bautsch

Agreed, an incandescent or even auto white balance would add cool colors to the shot. That would be a contradiction to the color he is trying to achieve in the shot.

mu0chn

Took this the other day.

13 sec at f8 ISO 400 NEF

PSE 8

_DSC1164copysmall.jpg