Shooting RAW

Michael J.

Are the settings as same as I shoot JPEG?

ISO

JPEG: I set it Auto

Raw: ?

Daylight

JPEG: I set Auto

RAW: ?

Exposure

JEPG: I use P or sometimes A and I adjust + - sometimes

RAW:?

What anything else important to care shooting RAW

Thank you for your advice

You shoot RAW the same way. The main difference is that you have to do Post Processing to get the best results. The thing is that when you shoot RAW you can correct for many more things like color balance and exposure.

Shoot your best and then fine tune it better using RAW.

What software are you using for post processing?

WhiteLight

The best way to shoot RAW & learn to master it is by taking a shot in Auto mode to see what settings the camera chooses.
Now immediately turn the dial to Manual & take the same shot with the settings that the camera used in Auto mode.
Then make some changes as you like to the settings to use your brains than the cameras brains to achieve a shot you like :)

Michael J.

For me the Question is if I turn off Daylight I can in RAW easily turn on afterwards. JPEG not. So for example is it necessary to turn of Daylight in RAW-Shooting? ( Just on example).

WhiteLight

For me the Question is if I turn off Daylight I can in RAW easily turn on afterwards. JPEG not. So for example is it necessary to turn of Daylight in RAW-Shooting? ( Just on example).

Sorry Michael, but what do you mean by 'Daylight'? Brightness?
If so, the RAW image stores everything in the scene..
All levels of colors, brightness etc.
So when you post process a RAW image you have a lot of information to work with.

Not so the case with JPEG.
The camera chooses the optimum settings for you from the RAW file (not actually, but this is just to make it simpler) & throws away all the information that is not necessary.
So there is no additional information left for you to adjust & make changes

Mfrankfort

If you mess up and have the shutter speed 1/400 instead of 1/200.. and you get a black image in RAW, you can still recover some things. You might have a bit of noise, and a bit of underexposure, but you can recover things. In RAW, What the camera see's, the camera records, and YOU do the processing, not the camera. If you want to lower the exposure in some areas, raise it in some.. up the contrast.. change white balance... you can, because the information is in the camera. That's why RAW files are pretty big (huge). Best case... shoow RAW+JPEG if your card allows it.

If so, the RAW image stores everything in the scene..
All levels of colors, brightness etc.
So when you post process a RAW image you have a lot of information to work with.

Not so the case with JPEG.
The camera chooses the optimum settings for you from the RAW file (not actually, but this is just to make it simpler) & throws away all the information that is not necessary.
So there is no additional information left for you to adjust & make changes

I think he means Color balance. And yes, you don't need to worry about it when shooting RAW. Just leave it in AUTO.
this was shot under street lights and was all yellow/orange. Was shot is RAW and just moved one slider to fix it.
d5100_02089.jpg

Michael J.

Best case... shoow RAW+JPEG if your card allows it.

The card is great. I think I have to change my childhood shoes to young adult one's. I shot already RAW + Fine but I don't want produce not good JPEG cos I know that I have RAW

Daylight in my D5100 Camera-Setting.

But as I see now I can use my current Camera-setting an no problem at all.

I just turned from P mode into A mode. For M mode I am to unexpierenced about setting the shutter-speed, and so on.

Michael J.

It just started to rain - Neighbors Costumer is getting wet

regen.jpg

Camera Model: NIKON D5100
Image Date: 2013-08-13 11:03:52 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 85.0mm (35mm equivalent: 127mm)
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Comment: (c)Michael - YPE&SenseMath Banbueng
Software: Capture NX 2.4.1 W

Michael J.

Looks like heavy rain!

It is raining heavy. :cool:

I just posted that pic cos I am testing how to use RAW to satisfy what I have in mind. I just started learning RAW and processing it.

I hope I don't bother anyone here. Maybe someone join this thread to show how to improve pics.

Right now I am itting in front of my Photography Computer and trying LR4.4 and search the Internet for how to calibrate the Monitor right.

It is raining heavy. :cool:

I just posted that pic cos I am testing how to use RAW to satisfy what I have in mind. I just started learning RAW and processing it.

I hope I don't bother anyone here. Maybe someone join this thread to show how to improve pics.

Right now I am itting in front of my Photography Computer and trying LR4.4 and search the Internet for how to calibrate the Monitor right.

I just bought a new desktop just for Photoshop. 24GB memory and a 22inch monitor and a 20inch monitor so I can have Bridge on the 20 inch and Photoshop on the 22inch. It took me forever to get the two monitors to match.

Michael J.

I just bought a new desktop just for Photoshop. 24GB memory and a 22inch monitor and a 20inch monitor so I can have Bridge on the 20 inch and Photoshop on the 22inch. It took me forever to get the two monitors to match.

The RAM I have to increase - I have two externals HD connected to the com I Terra-bite and one 500GB and for move my finished photo a 16 GB Stick. So I can post them from every Computer in my Building.

But to buy a new Computer-station that will be thought carefully cos I have first to look up what is for my needs right.

I have 1TB in computer with 2-1TB external Network attached drives. I have my laptop synced with my desktop so I can work on either computer and have the same files available.

My wife and I like to take lots of little photos trips for a few days at the time so I carry my laptop with me to dump the photos off onto during the trip. Then when I come home I just sync the two computers together over the network and I am ready to go.

I have PhotoShop CS6 on both so I can work either place.

Michael J.

On my two laptops and the other computers in my Computer-school there are PS CS6 on but in the main-office only where I most of my time spend there is PS CS5.1 and NO Windows 7 or 64 bit. This is what would like increase.

My Hobby turns out to get greedy :D

Vincent

You shoot RAW the same way. The main difference is that you have to do Post Processing to get the best results. The thing is that when you shoot RAW you can correct for many more things like color balance and exposure.

I did a lot of shots in RAW last week and I was disappointed. However working on them I do get good results. Disadvantage, I find it a lot of work working in RAW, but the result is there if you put the time in it.