D7100 Infra Red compatible?

Dziadzi19

Can my D7100 shoot infra red on its own, or does it need to be modified? If it does need to be modified, does anyone know an approximate cost? A friend of mine has a Canon that is DSLR-like, and it is an infra red shooter.

John P

You can get infrared filters from Hoya.Or call Life Pixel about a conversion. But once you convert it. It is infrared only.

Dziadzi19

Thank, I already have the Hoya IR filter, but all it does is take "red-tinted" photos. My friend's (less expensive) Canon takes all kinds of photos.

You can get infrared filters from Hoya.Or call Life Pixel about a conversion. But once you convert it. It is infrared only.

Blade Canyon

I sent a Nikon D40x to Life Pixel (dot com) and got a "Super Blue" IR conversion for $275. It is fun to play with, both with the IR only filter and without. Focusing is the real trick, I discovered. I remember when old lenses had a red line that indicated the IR focus. (You focused the manual lens normally, then you had to move the focus point manually from the center mark to the red IR mark.) Life Pixel will re-calibrate your body for a standard lens, but if you use any other lens you have to send it with the camera so LP can calibrate it.

Here are some samples... most without a filter, but the one of my patio has the filter. The color ones had lots of channel switching in Photoshop. I highly recommend you watch all of the videos on lifepixel.com. They are very well made and give lots of good information. Beware, if you watch all of the you will probably buy something from them.

No IR filter:

IRhouse.jpg

Patio with IR filter

IRfilter1.jpg

The head and knobs on this fire hydrant are grey, as pictured, but the body is painted bright red. It looks like the IR light passes through the paint.

IRnofilter.jpg

And a street shot with no filter. No channel swaps here.

IRnofilter2.jpg

ETA: I see now that Life Pixel has a Universal Focusing Calibration for any Nikon with Live View mode.

Last edited:

Mfrankfort

BackDoorHippie might be the guy for this one. I'm pretty sure one of his camera's (7?00) I'm pretty sure he got converted to the IR. He might have some more insight on this. Might also talk about that clean D600 sensor. :)

nikonos

its just like some cool game or feature you enjoy it for couple of weeks and then you don't want it anymore and you cant go back ... the camera can see infrared so if you put infrared filter you will get this effect on filter not for always

mikew_RIP

Thank, I already have the Hoya IR filter, but all it does is take "red-tinted" photos. My friend's (less expensive) Canon takes all kinds of photos.

You should be able to get your images from the red one,think its to do with swapping channels,could be gimp that will do it.

mike

BackdoorArts

All Nikon DSLR's have some level of IR filtering (i.e. blocking) on them, so if you choose to shoot with an IR filter you will likely be shooting at much greater exposure times to get enough light through to produce an image.

I had my D7000 converted by Kolari Vision and it works wonderfully. It's a permanent change, but the camera was on the "sell" pile and I decided this would be more fun .. and it is. They did a D7100 conversion for a guy who writes for Improve Photography and his review is what convinced me to go with them.

One option that few explore is to go with a full spectrum conversion which essentially allows the IR and UV spectrums in without limiting your normal light. It can make for some freaky lighting effects, and it allows you to then use lens filters to limit the type of light you want to allow in (i.e. remove IR, remove UV, allow only IR, etc.). I've never played with one, but I've considered sending my D90 off to get it done. Maybe one of these days when I have a spare $250 lying around. LOL

Blade Canyon

its just like some cool game or feature you enjoy it for couple of weeks and then you don't want it anymore ...

This is pretty much on target. My IR was on a spare body, so I don't care about going back, but you are correct that it is a gimmick of sorts. I don't play with it much, but I am hoping for a clear night soon to see how the IR body works on astronomy shots.

Moab Man

I just got the Hoya 720 filter and I'm getting a line across my pictures on my D7100. Suggestions?

Without a picture, and from what I understand infrared takes longer exposures, you could be getting light bleed through the viewfinder. Try the same shot with the viewfinder covered. The D7100 can bleed light through the viewfinder like a stuck pig.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't do IR and am not even knowledgeable about it, but aren't there different types of IR conversions that will yield different colors? Wouldn't the OP need to decide which type of IR conversion he wants? :confused: