Golf Photography

Kevin H

I'm in a small company tourney this weekend and just wondering if anyone has done some pics at small tourney's. What are good settings to start from? I'll have my 18-105 lens on.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

If it's nice and sunny, go for Aperture Mode, f/8-11 (or follow the Sunny 16 rule), and with that lens keep the speed above 1/125th if the subject is moving, otherwise, just put it in Auto Mode and fire away. :)

Start with your built in meter in the camera. Shoot aperture priority with a relatively fast shutter speed. At least 1/250 sec or faster it you can. Somewhere around f8 or f11 and set the ISO so you can get those settings. Shoot a couple and look at them and see how they look.

BackdoorArts

Don't shoot before or during someone's swing. That works for small tourneys, big tourneys, and just in general.

If you're shooting individuals, I like to keep the 18-105mm at f5.6 and allow for some depth of field.

Kevin H

Don't shoot before or during someone's swing. That works for small tourneys, big tourneys, and just in general.

If you're shooting individuals, I like to keep the 18-105mm at f5.6 and allow for some depth of field.

I'm looking for action shots so should I bring the 55-300 and stand back a bit??

LensWork

Golf can be shot with everything from an ultra-wide-angle:

2012-04-17_172.JPG

Nikon D300, Tamron 10-24mm, two off-camera strobes

to a super-telephoto:

Tiger_Chip.jpg

Nikon F4/s, Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 ED-IF AI-S.
Images Copyright © Michael A. Lawhon - LensWork

Last edited: