Guess I should have done this at the begining:

Vital Spark

But since I have already taken a wee part here, I will beg indulgence and introduce myself now.

My name is John. I am the grandson of a man who was a professional photographer from the late 30's to the late 60's when he died, so I grew up with photography in the family. I always took pictures when I went places but, I did not really begin to take it seriously as a standalone activity until about 6 years ago.

I am a dilettante photographer with no pretension to science or method; each image I produce is the result of having made compositional decisions at the time or later during post.

I am attached to the editing tools of Photoshop and Lightroom, but do not feel particularly enamoured of the extreme ends of pseudo HDR or overt application of textures.

I am looking forward to participating here where I feel my input will be helpful or interesting.

fotojack

John, what a refreshing introduction! :) I love it. Welcome to Nikonites. I strongly feel you are going to love it here, and fit right in. :) It's a pleasure to have you join our ranks. :)

Curt

Hello John, welcome from Canada.
I can relate to what you were saying about growing up with your father being a photographer and always being around it. Both my mother & father are musicians and I grow up around it all my life, there was never at time when it was not the main topic in our house. My father even worked at & owned a music store. I guess what I am getting at is “its in your blood”. It must have been a great opportunity to learn all about the art of capturing imagines on film. Looking forward to seeing your work and reading about your perspective.

johnwartjr

Welcome John!

Photography is in my blood, too, I can relate to that. My dad is a photographer and his father had quite the interest in photography, too. Has a collection of old cameras, going back to shooting on 8x10 glass plates!

Vital Spark

Welcome John!

Photography is in my blood, too, I can relate to that. My dad is a photographer and his father had quite the interest in photography, too. Has a collection of old cameras, going back to shooting on 8x10 glass plates!

Oh how I wish we still had the cameas my Grandfather used. My mom sold them when I was a kid.

Every time I hear the words Rollei, or 8X10 Deardorff I shudder. In addition we lost most of his prints and negative/plates in a flood and through further negligence.

Have you ever used any of the old ones?

johnwartjr

Other than running a couple rolls of TMAX through an old Rolleiflex TLR, I'd have to say no. That was just something I did on a whim once when I found a couple rolls left out of a 5 pack in the fridge that were outdated...

At that point in my life (would've been in 96/97), the novelty wore off quickly!

My Dad's photography business had pretty much abandoned anything other than 35mm by 5 years earlier. We were using Mamiya 645 stuff for dance studios and a few select other things before that.. but found that it wasn't really necessary for anything that we were being asked for.

Curt

No, not really? I have an old Nikon F2 & a Nikomat FT2 I had a Rollei speedlight (stopped working).
But that was when I was a kid...lol. I still have the two cameras & lenes, but never use them.
As an adult I started using Digital cameras.

Ruidoso Bill

I did use a Mamiyaflex when I did film. Wanted to go to larger (2 1/4)negatives. Guess it was like higher MP's or Sensor size today. It was really enjoyable in the darkroom compared to 35mm but convenience won out.