Bought a new Speedlight...

RockyNH_RIP

I had been thinking of getting a 2nd Speedlight that would function TTL.. The Yongnuo's were getting good reviews.. then I saw a local ad for an SB 700 used. The young lady owned it one year and seldom used it... today she needed the money. I ended up getting it for $210 and it looks brand new... I figured at that price, I might as well get another Nikon.

Pat in NH

Smoke

Congratulations on your purchase. Now can I ask a dumb rookie question? I am being totally serious....but I don't know what a speed light is or what it is used for. Can you educate me?

Bill16

A speed light is a Nikon brand external flash. The built in flash doesn't always work the best for some shots? :)

You have a place on top of your camera on SLRs you can attach it called a flash shoe. Or if you know how you can use it off the camera along with others to give you better angles for some shots. Other people here are much more knowledgeable and I'm sure they can explain it better than I can. Lol :)
Congratulations on your purchase. Now can I ask a dumb rookie question? I am being totally serious....but I don't know what a speed light is or what it is used for. Can you educate me?

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

The only dumb question is the one you do not ask.. Bill16 already stepped in to help (Thanks Bill) and I hope that helped. To add to what he said, you have a lot more flexibility in controlling the light by adjusting to bounce off walls or ceilings, can add modifiers like diffusers .. and clearly more power than the built in flash.

Note, it is NOT for everyone and if you do not have a need, save your money until the day when you outgrow the built in or decide to learn more advanced flash techniques.

Pat in NH

John P

I just built some dual speedlight mounts for my umbrella swivel mounts.
Sure makes a hell of a difference shooting outdoors.

Moab Man

The only dumb question is the one you do not ask.
My fifth grade teacher wife use to believe that. She now knows differently. The dumb question, at least from a fifth grader will usually start with, "What if..." followed by something ridiculous, out of this world, and did you really just ask that?