Thom Hogan: The Nikon 1 Head Scratcher

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
There has been a lot of buzz in the various forums about Nikon's financial results including comments regarding disappointing mirrorless sales. Thom Hogan posted a very insightful analysis titled The Nikon 1 Head Scratcher. In the post Thom calls out Nikon regarding the clear lack of direction not only in mirrorless but also DSLR leadership. Very good read.

In a related post, Thom describes the global under-performance of the mirrorless market - except for Asia. He opines that Canon's US withdrawal of their EOS M line may be a harbinger of regional segmentation. It will be interesting to see how this market segment evolves.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I see the mirror-less format as the answer to a question that, really, no one was asking.

I can understand that they may not be for everyone, but besides the obvious weight advantages over a DSLR and IQ over most point-and-shoots, I believe the technical advances will evolve into the DSLR of the future. Why? The removal of a mirror simplifies the design (e.g. less parts especially moving ones), lowers the cost, improves the re-use of common components and reduces time to market. All advantages that the manufacturers seem to be chasing.

To be honest, there are things today that I can't do with my Nikon 1 that my DSLR can such as some low light capabilities, use of standard Nikon lighting products and extreme DOF to name a few, but it isn't that far off. But the Nikon V1 is a fun camera to use - despite a few quirks. As a hobbyist, isn't that why we purchased our gear in the first place?

Phillydog1958

I can understand that they may not be for everyone, but besides the obvious weight advantages over a DSLR and IQ over most point-and-shoots, I believe the technical advances will evolve into the DSLR of the future. Why? The removal of a mirror simplifies the design (e.g. less parts especially moving ones), lowers the cost, improves the re-use of common components and reduces time to market. All advantages that the manufacturers seem to be chasing.

To be honest, there are things today that I can't do with my Nikon 1 that my DSLR can such as some low light capabilities, use of standard Nikon lighting products and extreme DOF to name a few, but it isn't that far off. But the Nikon V1 is a fun camera to use - despite a few quirks. As a hobbyist, isn't that why we purchased our gear in the first place?

I don't regret purchasing a V2. These cameras also have great video capability, which is another reason why many are purchasing the Nikon 1 cameras. Yesterday, I used my V2 to record my granddaughter's Happy Birthday song during her 3rd birthday party. I mounted my Nikon ME-1 microphone and recorded the 1:30 second song and posted in on FB. I prefer taking photos, but there are times when video works. Here's an article on the fairly-new and somewhat controversial topic of "Hybrid Photography" -- What is Hybrid Photography?

Change is coming, folks. As technology advances and new and wonderful things become possible, it’s inevitable that the most creative among us will come up with new and innovative ways to express or deliver their art.Once upon a time, the only way you could listen to music was to go and see it performed live. Then came the phonograph and radio. We’ve seen delivery systems progress from vinyl records to tapes (reel to reel, 8-track and cassette). In the 80s, we gained the ability to play our music from a beam of light, as lasers read the information stored on a Compact Disc. Today, the record and cd store has been all but wiped out as the ability to store and play massive amounts of music from tiny MP3 players and downloading and streaming the music from the internet has become the norm.Photo innovator and hybrid coach to the pros will Crockett sees changes of this magnitude coming to the world of photography, and more people and industry insiders are agreeing with him every day.
Enter Hybrid Photography

More than one single image, hybrid photography is the skillful blend of photos and short video clips, audio, music, graphics and just about anything else you can fit into a hybrid “eProduct” file to make it leap off of any screen. In video above, Will shares how you can elevate yourself into the world of hybrid photography to create images that you can show, or share or sell onto any phone, iPad or web page you can imagine.Change is coming, folks. What you do with this information is entirely up to you.

You can view the fore-mentioned
video from Will Crockett and more on the subject, at: http://www.discovermirrorless.com/hybrid-photography/what-is-hybrid-photography/​

Last edited: