D5200 high speed flash

Cpd5899

I am new to photography and am confused about high speed flash. If u have an external flash, set it manually, can I take pictures with flash faster then 1/200 with the D5200?I know it doesn't support high speed sync (which is stupid) but if it's done manually instead of TTL... Will it work?

WayneF

I am new to photography and am confused about high speed flash. If u have an external flash, set it manually, can I take pictures with flash faster then 1/200 with the D5200?I know it doesn't support high speed sync (which is stupid) but if it's done manually instead of TTL... Will it work?

No, we are limited to 1/200 second with flash. Does not matter if manual or TTL flash, internal or external flash.. This is a limitation of the focal plane shutter itself. At speeds faster than 1/200 second, the shutter would not be fully open to allow the flash to illuminate all areas of the image plane. This is called Maximum Sync Speed.
More detail and examples at Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Maximum Shutter Sync Speed

But realize that it is the speedlight that stops motion, not the shutter. For example, the SB-700 flash has these specifications for flash duration (SB-700 manual page H-17)

1/1042 sec. at M1/1 (full) output
1/1136 sec. at M1/2 output
1/2857 sec. at M1/4 output
1/5714 sec. at M1/8 output
1/10000 sec. at M1/16 output
1/18182 sec. at M1/32 output
1/25000 sec. at M1/64 output
1/40000 sec. at M1/128 output

This can stop a tremendous amount of motion. Faster than any shutter.

The other Nikon speedlight models are about the same speed (called Speedlights).

See Capability of flash units for high speed photography for the idea... using low flash power for incredible speed, up close in dim light, at any slow shutter speed (in dim light where it doesn't matter).

FWIW, some other models (like D7100 and up) have mode called Auto FP that can kludge around this, with drastically different action, but with only about 20% of the power, and no speed stopping ability. Another subject.

Cpd5899

So if I want to take a picture where my subject is back lit and I need to use flash without changing aperture and 1/200 is too slow... I'm pretty much SOL then, right?

So if I want to take a picture where my subject is back lit and I need to use flash without changing aperture and 1/200 is too slow... I'm pretty much SOL then, right?

Which flash?

And Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

WayneF

You cannot make the shutter speed faster than 1/200 (with flash and that camera). But there are things you can do. Use ISO 100, for a slower shutter speed. Sunny 16, that is 1/100 at f/16, or 1/200 at f/11. You possibly can also underexpose the ambient a couple of stops. Makes your flash subject stand out anyway.

Camera models with Auto FP (and compatible flash) have another option, but at great cost of loss of flash power and range.

You do realize that we have seen the same situation for many decades. It is nothing new, except that sync was down around 1/60 second most of that time. The 1/200 second is more recent.

Last edited:
Look in the manual or menu and see if it supports FP mode ( flash Programme) if it does set to FP 1/320 and it will sync at any speed ....I suspect your camera does not have FP which is why the lower models are cheaper.