Couple Miles From Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambr

AND_0092_tonemapped-XL.jpg

AND_0089_tonemapped-XL.jpg

We have sagebrush, pine desert and just about everything in between, great place to live. The 2nd photo is of a corn field high up on a mesa on the Thompson River Valley.

Bill16

That first shot is awesome! I'm loving it! What a great scenery! :D

We have sagebrush, pine desert and just about everything in between, great place to live. The 2nd photo is of a corn field high up on a mesa on the Thompson River Valley.

grandpaw

These both look like they coud be post cards. Great shots!

Kodiak

I will be the one…

I'm sorry Sam, but I will be the one to say that as is, your second picture is the
better one because it is closer to nature than the horrible rendition of the first one.

I do not understand that! You are from one of the very beautiful part of the country…

The sky, …this is no more natural! And the halo running along the mountains top!
I agree with all that this first shot would be the better one if…

What, I think, is even less pleasant is that advanced forum members as well as
far less advanced ones (these may be forgiven) are acclaiming this as if it was
your best of… I know you have done much better then this!

Don't get me wrong: the shot is good, very good but the rendition not so.

My indignation goes toward the advanced and more knowledgeable members
who are in the position to ring a bell but did worse: encourage you in this.

I know, they will all hate me! I my book, a hobbyist is to taken seriously because
he/she has proven his/her involvement. I want to be involved too.

Vbrg,

ohkphoto

Snow White

I will be the one…

I'm sorry Sam, but I will be the one to say that as is, your second picture is the
better one because it is closer to nature than the horrible rendition of the first one.

I do not understand that! You are from one of the very beautiful part of the country…

The sky, …this is no more natural! And the halo running along the mountains top!

I know, they will all hate me! I my book, a hobbyist is to taken seriously because

Vbrg,

@Kodiak I'm addressing this because of the statements in bold.

First of all, PHOTOGRAPHY IS SUBJECTIVE. It's very clear that your style (capture and rendition) is very different from many here. Just because Sam's rendition (or anybody else's, for that matter) isn't your so-called "natural rendition" does not mean it isn't good or valuable or that those of us who liked it should be "chastised."

Secondly, Sam did NOT post this in the critique section so even though he is always gracious about peoples' opinions, you were out of line to provide a critique.

Finally, you say you want to be more involved here, then try to get off your "high horse" . . . you are NOT the answer to everyone's problem and YOUR style is not the right style for everyone, just as your recommendations are not the only ones or the best. Stop insisting that your way is the best way.

This is not the first post where you insult other members, and I don't believe it's for a lack of "command of the English language."

Nobody hates you. What this forum is NOT about is an "elitist" attitude. It IS about learning and supporting each other, especially when we try something new.

Last edited:

fotojack

Try posting some shots of your own, Kodiak. Let's see what kind of critiques YOU generate from the so called "more advanced" members here!
Sam didn't ask for nor solicit any critique, and none was expected.
I take exception to your holier than thou attitude towards anyone who doesn't meet your standards of photography. Your way is not the only way. Everything Helene said is right on the money, so you may want to remember that!
Any more derogatory remarks towards any other members will lead to a suspension.

I am in total agreement with Helene and Jack. We are here to help photographers to achieve THEIR vision and not yours. Everyone does not need to do all their photographs the exact same way. That is what this forum is all about. Seeing all the different styles even the ones we personally don't like is a great thing. I have seen new things being done that I have now incorporated into what I do. The people that have shown these have been a great asset to me in learning. The first HDR shots I saw I did not like because they were over cooked in my opinion but the idea to me was again interesting so i tried it for my self and found a style of HDR that I really like. You would not like it because it is not to your liking because it is not natural in your eyes.

Don't give a critique when it is not in the section specified for critique. Also my mother always taught me to not say anything at all if I could not say something nice.

Sambr

I will be the one…

Vbrg,

I could say a lot of things - and I surprised myself for not doing so. Old age I guess. However I will say this. This past June my wife Coral & I went to Ottawa Ontario on a part business & work vacation. The "must do" place to visit was the National Art Gallery"( Coral is a fanatic art lover) Well I was totally awed at the art, sculptures etc that was on display there. We spent 2 days and still didn't see it all. My point is some art, I didn't understand or even like, however I respected the artist's point of view because it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers

I could say a lot of things - and I surprised myself for not doing so. Old age I guess. However I will say this. This past June my wife Coral & I went to Ottawa Ontario on a part business & work vacation. The "must do" place to visit was the National Art Gallery"( Coral is a fanatic art lover) Well I was totally awed at the art, sculptures etc that was on display there. We spent 2 days and still didn't see it all. My point is some art, I didn't understand or even like, however I respected the artist's point of view because it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers

Very well put. Keep doing what you are doing and the most important thing is to enjoy your own photography.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I could say a lot of things - and I surprised myself for not doing so. Old age I guess. . . . My point is some art, I didn't understand or even like, however I respected the artist's point of view because it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers

It's this kind of thinking that will keep you from being old. I believe that when you stop learning and growing, regardless of the craft or discipline, you're on the road to stagnation, and the death of something.

​Happy shooting, Sam!

Status
Not open for further replies.