Quick Review of Yongnuo 568EX

Mfrankfort

I got this flash a few days ago, since I didn't want to spend (have the money) for the SB-710/910 flash, so I figured I would give this sub 200$ flash a try. So far, it's awesome. I had a sync port for other triggers, a fairly easy LCD screen, and a really good flash output. I do like the fact that it does wireless TTL, which was a bonus. If you keep the flash in i-ttl, you can control it 100% through the camera. You can use commander mode to switch it from TTL to M, and as long as the flash is still in i-ttl mode, you can put it in M through the camera, and control output. You can also use flash compensation too. When attached to the camera, the flash will automatically zoom which is a nice feature. One downside (wasn't for me, but might be for some) is that off camera, it can only be used as a slave flash, and not a master. That doesn't matter much for me, but it can be triggered with any Yongnuo triggers, or any Nikon master trigger. It has a wide angle diffuser, and a bounce card built in. It tilts, swivels, and I had it in a softbox, and it still triggered every time. I even fired it pointing the pop-up flash away from it, and it still triggered it, which was a bit weird. I put the flash in M mode from the flash, and it has S1 and S2 modes, which I'm not too knowledgeable about. I put it in S1, and it would fire, but it didn't seem to fire at the right time, as all the pictures were dark. When I put it in S2, it would fire perfect. After reading a bit, I guess S2 uses the pre-flash, and not sure what S1 does, but I don't use it, lol. The 568 has the HSS, which is nice for if I'm going to use it outdoor on/off camera.

Just a quick little review and my thoughts. It's a great flash for the price. I'm thinking about getting 2 565EX to add some better light, since I'd be using more than 1 light inside, and won't really need High speed sync. If you guys have any questions, or want me to run any tests... let me know! So far so good.

Mfrankfort

I have not used the SB-700, so unfortunately I can't compare them as far as use. I was debating what flash to get, and while I would have loved the SB-700, or SB-910, they were a bit much. With the money I saved, I bought a Light stand, umbrella/softbox kit, umbrella holder, and still had money left over. It works great with the camera, is very functional, and so far have 0 complaints.