Strange light spots on images

carguy

A friend of mine shot the Great White concert with me last Friday night. He has these strange 'spots' showing up on a few of his images. I saw the same thing in a few of my shots. Not sure what these are, any ideas?

It was not raining that night. They are not consistent and both he and I captured them at times, that rules out camera or sensor related issues.

Nikon D50
1/125
f1.8
50mm (1.8G)
ISO 400

DSC_0087 by Harleyguy08, on Flickr

Thanks!

BackdoorArts

If you both got them then it's likely something that the camera sees better than the eye. Ever shoot a flash photo at a hayride and all this dust magically appears? Were there lighting stands hanging off the back of the stage (looks like an empty backed outdoor stage otherwise)? If so, it could be a randomly flashing light. Or it could be outdoor dust catching the stage lighting just right. Like I said, if you both got it then it was them not you. Treat 'em like dust and mask them in post-processing.

carguy

Yeah, probably some strange anomoly with the stage lighting reflecting off the bands equipment. Just strange to see. I've shot the last few shows here without seeing this appear.

the stage is open in the back, see below:

LIXX by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you both got them then it's likely something that the camera sees better than the eye. Ever shoot a flash photo at a hayride and all this dust magically appears? Were there lighting stands hanging off the back of the stage (looks like an empty backed outdoor stage otherwise)? If so, it could be a randomly flashing light. Or it could be outdoor dust catching the stage lighting just right. Like I said, if you both got it then it was them not you. Treat 'em like dust and mask them in post-processing.

I agree. Sometimes this phenomenon is called orbs--not the orbs people who are spiritual talk about but the orbs that have to do with optics/photography. I am nearsighted and wear glasses. One time when I went in our backyard at night where we have security lights, the lights hit my glasses just right which created this orb effect. When I repositioned myself, the small circular lights disappeared. It only ever happened that one time.

As Jake said, it probably had to do with the stage lighting and how the light bounced off dust near the stage.

Here is a link to an explanation (Wikipedia has a link, but it won't work properly when I tried to post it):

photography - What is the scientific explanation of "Orbs" in photographs? - Skeptics Stack Exchange

carguy

Same stage setup last night, noticed bugs attracted to the lighting. Could have been the lights reflecting off the bugs at just right at certain times I suppose.

480sparky

It's merely out-of-focus, well lit particulate matter in the air. Nothing more. I see it all the time in the shots I take at work.

DSC02242.jpg

I call 'em bokeh dots.