Using my 7100 with SB700 Flash.. Question about flash behavior..

AudiSportB5S4

I don't think I've made a thread to announce my happiness with the upgrade from the D3100 to the D7100, but man I'm loving it.

Question though.. With my SB700 attached to the hot shoe, when I go take a picture the same way I did before with my 3100, the flash is emmiting 3-4 quick flashes and then the actual flash for the exposure. What setting am I looking to change to get this to stop? I don't need the flash shooting before it's needed. Not sure what the purpose of that is.

Appreciate any help!

FastGlass

Actually the preflash light is almost undetectible. It happens so fast you don't see it. Do you have red eye reduction turned on? Other than that I can't think of a setting where you would see a series of flashes before the actual flash.

WayneF

the flash is emmiting 3-4 quick flashes and then the actual flash for the exposure. What setting am I looking to change to get this to stop?

This is due to the Red Eye Reduction setting in the camera. Turn that off.
D7100 manual page 120
You may have set it accidentally in the flash sync window.

rikman

There's pre flash for fill in & red eye reduction as well, which is easy to turn off.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

AudiSportB5S4

Awesome, thanks guys.. I love this camera, I don't expect to have the same handle I had on my 3100 in terms of knowing all the functionality of it for at least a handful more experiences shooting with it.

Have a good one!