Help me pick a prime!

LightSky

Okay guys and gals!
I know there's a bunch of threads like this, but I had to ask for myself. :p
I have wanted to get some new lenses for a while now, and decided on primes.
After working all summer, (I'm tired of mowing lawns and doing chores!) I have some money saved up.

After a lot of research and testing lenses, I narrowed down what I'm seriously looking at buying.

105mm f/2.8G Micro
85mm f/1.8G
35mm f/1.8G

I am looking for better low light performance than my kit lens (18-55mm), nice bokeh, and a low aperture.
Also, I would like a lens I could use as a nice portrait lens.

I would like to get a wide(r) angle prime with a short-medium telephoto prime.
And my budget is around $600.

Any suggestions/help/comments?

JDFlood

Re: Help me!

Those are great choices. Perfect for FX camera. If you have a DX, you might consider dropping back wider on them all. So, maybe 24mm, 50mm, and 85. JD

WhiteLight

Yeah!
You've found a liking to 3 lenses which would be used for totally different situations..

btw you must've mowed a LOT of lawns to have saved up for a 105mm! ;)

Anyhow, an excellent lens for portraits and general photography is the 35mm prime.
More for portraits would be the 85mm
if you want to shoot macro, the 105 is one of the best, offers the tele-photo aspect as well and the IQ is awesome.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

I would love to have the 85 f/1.8, personally, but a lot of it depends on what you want to do with it.

I have the 50 f/1.8D and for the money it's incredible, but you wouldn't have autofocus with that. I like my 35mm f/1.8G too, but I find myself liking the depth of field with the 50. You may feel the same way, again depending on what you plan on shooting.

The 105mm would be a good investment if you ever plan on going to FX, but I wouldn't make that my first prime, honestly. It's the most expensive as well.

Either way the low light capability will blow you away when compared with the kit lens.

FYI, Amazon is offering 4% back right now all of those lenses. You can get even better deals with them used if you want to go that route.
Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens: NIKON: Camera & Photo

fhibbs12

Just shot wedding reception for a friend with the sigma 35 1.4 prime. Absolutely hated it.... Felt like I was getting to personal with the people. Felt like I had to crop so many shots. Felt like I missed focus way to much that I sent it back the next day. When my prints came back my friends loved them and now I am missing not having wider than 50 on a fx. Every time I put the 50 on I feel like I am missing something now....

I would look into the 30mm 1.4 from sigma.

Vincent

I´m just starting but:

low light performance, nice bokeh, and a low aperture seem very similar criteria.

portrait lens on a DX, I would write off 35mm, I already find to be quite close with my 50mm. Try it with the kit lens you have.
I tend to look at pixel peeper to see some pictures taken with the lens, however you do not see the distance to the subject. Youtube reviews might help for that.

I would go for the 105mm, but you should do your thing. For the brokeh with f2,8: e.g. Flickr has a group:
Bokeh with the Nikkor micro 105mm f/2.8 (All versions)

LightSky

Those are three totally different lenses and each have a different purpose. What do you want to do with this lens and be specific.[/QUOTE

So..
The 105mm would be for macro of course, and portrait.
85mm would be for portrait mainly.
35mm would be for general day to day photography.

With my budget, it would be the 105mm or the 35mm and the 85mm. I can't afford all three.
I am trying to make sure I don't mess up and buy the wrong lens for what I want to do.

WhiteLight

If you planning on doing close up or macro, go for the 105.
Else i think you can get the 35mm AND the 85mm.
you really shouldn't miss out on the 35mm lens.. it's a wonderful lens & for that price, it's really a no brainer..

Steve B

I agree with WhiteLight. Unless you plan to do a lot of macro go with the 35 and 85. Keep in mind that the 35mm will be a "normal" lens on your D5000.

JDFlood

Just shot wedding reception for a friend with the sigma 35 1.4 prime. Absolutely hated it.... Felt like I was getting to personal with the people. Felt like I had to crop so many shots. Felt like I missed focus way to much that I sent it back the next day. When my prints came back my friends loved them and now I am missing not having wider than 50 on a fx. Every time I put the 50 on I feel like I am missing something now....

I would look into the 30mm 1.4 from sigma.

I use the Nikon 35mm f1.4 on my d800 as my normal lens... It is fantastic. The 85mm most common for me for weddings ?.. And the 105mm. JD

Angelos Ballao

You need to think about what you're primarily shooting. Whether it'd be wide-angle or telephoto shots. If you're going to need fast glass, the 35mm and 85mm f/1.8g are fast in low light. To be honest, like what others said, I would get both the 35mm and the 85mm f/1.8g. If you're only going to get one, then it's entirely up to you whether you need 85mm or 35mm. Think wisely :) I chose the 85mm since I mainly shoot portraits at certain events.

Cowleystjames

I've just bought the 85mm 1.4 which is amazing. You may not be able to afford the 1.4 but from all reviews the 1.8 is just as sweet. I'm so impressed that it stays on my D800e 90%of the time.

LightSky

Well guys,
I'm gonna get both the 35mm 1.8G and the 85mm 1.8G!
Thanks to everyone for the awesome help! I am really excited for some new glass.

crycocyon

85 1.8G. This lens is on par with the 85 1.4G. The quality of images from these lenses is incredible. If you are serious about portrait work, nothing can beat these.

fotojack

To get all three of your choice, you might consider mowing a few more lawns. ;) But yeah, in your budget, the 35 and the 85 would be the way to go.