Full Frame upgrade recommendations wanted

Bill16

OK, after talking to my friend Kodiak I was quickly convinced the D800 was not the best choice for me when I upgrade. I have very little in the way of a computer and for a D800 a good computer is a must. Plus the cost of a D800 is a real down side on my income level. So Kodiak recommended the D700 as a much better choice for me in my position.

Now after some thought and a little reading, I have been wondering if the D600 might also be a good possible choice for my upgrade due to it's being a newer model than the D700. So I would like to hear what opinions you might have between the D600 and the D700 as a good upgrade for me.I'm talking about just the camera body, without any extras, so as to keep the price down. :)

Your advice is much appreciated no matter what choice I eventually make! Thank you! :D

John P

Yes, the D600 is a newer camera.

But the D700 will ALWAYS be a great camera!!!!!!!
I highly doubt a D700 would leave you wanting.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Based on your situation that you just descibed, I would also suggest the D700. Editing the 12mp files of the D700 is very doable unlike the D800 which forced me to upgrade my desktop computer, buying larger, more expensive CF/SD cards, extra harddrives, etc.

Re: D600. I am not warming up with that camera yet due to the large reports of the sensor issue. I know the D700 is a great camera because I use to own one before I bought the D800E.

Check out this sexy thing. :cool:

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 ai 2 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Kodiak

Hi Bill,

I just spent +/- 45 min. on the Nikon web site and wow the D600 is really something!
The D700 is unknown to me and no longer on the Nikon website (to compare).
There is the rumour that the D400 will be coming this fall!

Just do some research and your homework! …and let the excitement build up!

ohkphoto

Snow White
OK, after talking to my friend Kodiak I was quickly convinced the D800 was not the best choice for me when I upgrade. I have very little in the way of a computer and for a D800 a good computer is a must. Plus the cost of a D800 is a real down side on my income level. So Kodiak recommended the D700 as a much better choice for me in my position.

Now after some thought and a little reading, I have been wondering if the D600 might also be a good possible choice for my upgrade due to it's being a newer model than the D700. So I would like to hear what opinions you might have between the D600 and the D700 as a good upgrade for me.I'm talking about just the camera body, without any extras, so as to keep the price down. :)

Your advice is much appreciated no matter what choice I eventually make! Thank you! :D

I'm curious as to the reasoning here. Why would a D800 require a better computer as opposed to other cameras? Because of video? Post processing is post processing. What are you using now for a computer?

The D700 will always be a good choice. The D600 (according to several posts here . . . check with Backdoor Hippie) seems to have some problems with oil and dirt on the sensor.

Bill16

From what I understand the files are larger due to it's high mp, and at this time I've been using my tablet to post process my shots. I do have computers but they are old and slow, and I haven't been using them lately. They also may need some work done on them. Also there is the cost, with the D800 being very expensive for someone living on disability.
I'm curious as to the reasoning here. Why would a D800 require a better computer as opposed to other cameras? Because of video? Post processing is post processing. What are you using now for a computer?

The D700 will always be a good choice. The D600 (according to several posts here . . . check with Backdoor Hippie) seems to have some problems with oil and dirt on the sensor.

Horoscope Fish

Maybe I'm just late to the party, but... Why do you want to upgrade in the first place?

What I'm really asking is, what do you want this upgrade to accomplish, where are you and where do you want to go? Answer that and I think what camera you need, be it D600, D700 or D800, will become much clearer.

Fred Kingston

The D700 is 5 years old... If you got the D600, you could use the difference between the 2 to buy an end-of-the-world computer, and still have a $1,000 left over...

ohkphoto

Snow White
Maybe I'm just late to the party, but... Why do you want to upgrade in the first place?

What I'm really asking is, what do you want this upgrade to accomplish, where are you and where do you want to go? Answer that and I think what camera you need, be it D600, D700 or D800, will become much clearer.

These are excellent questions. Also, you may want to consider "upgrading" to a computer first so that you can do some decent post processing. If you did that, you might then be in a better position to answer Fish's questions. This is "digital photography" . . . digital requires a computer. IMHO

Mfrankfort

D4... jk. I have the D600 and I love it. It was a bit cheaper than the 800 (when I got it), and I don't see myself making any large prints to need the size of the files. Not too familiar with the 700 but I know everyone loves it. I get some dust every now and then on the sensor, but just blow it off. It's not too visible unless your at really high f stops.

Sambr

Going to FX from a D3100, unless you have a bag full of FX glass is going to cost big bucks. I would really think it over before switching.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Going to FX from a D3100, unless you have a bag full of FX glass is going to cost big bucks. I would really think it over before switching.

Sam - Bill has only one DX kit lens, the rest are AI / Ais which are compatible with any of the full frame cameras.

A jump from a D3100 to D700 is a huge jump in ISO and just about everything else except for video. He can still use his D3100 for that purpose. Value wise, a FX camera will provide better experience IMO.

Sambr

Sam - Bill has only one DX kit lens, the rest are AI / Ais which are compatible with any of the full frame cameras.

A jump from a D3100 to D700 is a huge jump in ISO and just about everything else except for video. He can still use his D3100 for that purpose. Value wise, a FX camera will provide better experience IMO.

Okay that makes sense - agreed a D700 would fit the bill(pardon the pun) AI/Ais are great toughs as nails & will last a lifetime.

Kodiak

Man, you're good!

Bill16

I found this to be an interesting question, though not really very helpful except as a way to puzzle it out for myself. Which is what I have done to narrow down the choices this far. I have the bottom of the DSLR models, missing a lot of the advantages I've heard you all talk about. I know this model will not be where I want to be as my photography improves. So what do I know I will want, became the question. I knew what I wanted was a full frame for several reasons including the sensor size and it's compatability with the less expensive quality lenses I collected with this knowledge in mind. So now I am where you see me looking at the contenders of the FX models closest in price to what I can save up for .
Now I have a question for you. Do you, or have you owned or used one of these models, and if so what one and what is your opinion about it? :)

Bill16

Yes I do know this is digital photography, and I agree that my tablet is far from ideal as a sub for a full blown computer. If my post processing hasn't been decent as you have implied I take most of the blame since I'm just learning and haven't even come close to getting the full benefit out of my PS touch that works on my tablet. As to HF's question, I did answer it though I'm not sure it is the answer he was wanting, and I was slow in posting it because I needed time to think about it before answering. I also decided that if I upgrade my computer, that it would be better to already have my choice of camera so as to have a better idea of what upgrades are needed.
I hope this better explains what direction I was wanting to go and why. :) If you have some advice for a different plan that might be better for me, I'd be glad to hear it. I value your more knowledgeable opinion and would appreciate it even if I don't end up following it. :)
These are excellent questions. Also, you may want to consider "upgrading" to a computer first so that you can do some decent post processing. If you did that, you might then be in a better position to answer Fish's questions. This is "digital photography" . . . digital requires a computer. IMHO

Bill16

Yes you get it! Though I haven't made a decision between the D600 and the D700 you are basically right. I bought the lenses I have with the thought of eventually moving up to a full frame Nikon. :D though I have little to no interest in making videos to tell the truth! Lol :D