Help please from an absolute beginner in desperate need!!!!

Ljlane

Hello! I'm new to the group and photography. I was lucky in acquiring my camera and now having to learn to use it. I have recently completed a city and guilds level 1, so I can take a picture and understand the absolute basics, other than that I am confused by it all!!

So here is my query! I have bought an external flash for my d90 and it won't work! It's a speedlite YN560-III. The seller said its compatible with the d90, but I can only get it to fire in pilot mode!

Any advice is welcomed although please speak in simple terms...sorry!!!

donaldjledet

Hello! Welcome to Nikonites.com
I'm sorry I can't help a newbie myself Learning all the ends and outs of Photography and post processing.Thats also why at this site. Its the best one on the web.Somebody will be alone real soon who can help you.
​Enjoy the D-90.

Kodiak

Welcome Ljlane,

The seller said… NOT ENOUGH! I suggest that you go back and ask him to PROVE it!
Don't forget to take your camera along!

Blade Canyon

For a beginner, that is a fairly complicated manual flash. From what I can see on Amazon, it has different modes, so I can only wonder if a beginner can get it set up properly to sync with the camera. Are you sure that the Flash mode in the camera is set to ON? Check the camera's menu.

WhiteLight

Not sure about this flash, but i found someone with the same situation as you are..
hope this makes sense!

YN 560 is not a TTL flash. You can, however, remotely trigger this flash by using the built in optical slave unit either in the S1 or S2 mode. If your triggring flash (could be your built-in flash or a camera mounted flash) is in the maual mode, use S1 mode on your 560 unit. If, however, your triggring flash is in the TTL mode use S2 mode on your 560. The difference between S1 and S2 slave on your YN 560 is that the latter ignores the preflashes of the triggering flash (these are emitted when the triggring flash is in TTL mode) and responds only to the main flash. so remember to choose the right slave mode on your YN 560.

Please do remember to set the exposure manually, either through the camera controls or by adjusting your flash output on your YN 560, as this flash is not TTL compatable either on or off the camera.

There is no way you can sync the YN 560 at speeds beyond the maximum sync speed of your camera. The Auto FP feature of your camera works only with compatable flash and YN 560 is not compatable with this feature. In this mode the compatable flash fires in short bursts throughout the exposure time and so works with higher shutter speeds than the normal sync speed.

Horoscope Fish

So here is my query! I have bought an external flash for my d90 and it won't work! It's a speedlite YN560-III. The seller said its compatible with the d90, but I can only get it to fire in pilot mode!
Yes, that flash unit is *compatible* with your D90 but it's a fully *manual* flash unit.

You want one that supports what is called "iTTL", or Intelligent Through The Lens metering. There are several to choose from but the one that comes closest to the Yongnuo 560-III would be the Yongnuo 468-II.

Ijustwant1

Hi I have both the YN560-II and YN468-II the 468 is TTL and works very well on my D5100 just pop it on and fire away ! The 560 as stated before is FULLY MANUAL and is a very good flash so you can keep it and learn how to use manual flash (it's a good idea) or take it back and get a TTL flash , if you are going to ever use flash off camera I would suggest keeping the one you have and get the YN468-II TTL as well , I did and am very happy to have both ! Well it's your call :cool:
​cheers Greg

Blade Canyon

Make sure the flash mode is set to M (manual) on the flash itself. (All of the other modes on that flash are for optical or wireless triggering.) Make sure the camera's flash mode is set to on.

Have you had success by now?

Ljlane

Sorry it took me so long to reply! I didn't get any notifications after the first comment!

Anyway I got it working had to change the settings on the camera.

Thanks for all your comments really helpful to help me know what to look for!!