Best wide-angle lens on a budget.

Ste Booth

Hi All,

Need a wide angle lens for group shots in a very (VERY) enclosed space. i have been looking at 2 lenses that might do the job;

Tokina's 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikon DX Zoom Nikkor 12-24mm f4.0 (AF-S IF G ED)

Just wondering on other peoples reviews, personal preferences or experiences please

Thanks
​Ste

Fred Kingston

It's because faster is always better, and less money is always better... the DX, in my opinion is a negative... in that it limits the application... to a certain extent... but if you have no aspiration to a full frame camera, it doesn't enter the equation... I didn't compare those 2 lenses on DXO, but I vaguely recall that the Tokina got a higher rating... You might wanna do that... DXO lets you use your camera model to compare the optical quality of multiple lenses and cameras...

Ste Booth

WOW... thanks for that massive tip... I'm a real clown and very slow off the mark with most things. I just like to think i know what makes a photo and have only just gotten into the deep reading on benefits etc.
​Thanks

Steve B

You may also want to consider the Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor. It's a variable aperature but it is going to be a little bit faster and a little wider at the wide end than the Nikon 12-24mm (and cheaper). It has gotten very good reviews as well.

Horoscope Fish

It's because faster is always better, and less money is always better... the DX, in my opinion is a negative... in that it limits the application... to a certain extent... but if you have no aspiration to a full frame camera, it doesn't enter the equation... I didn't compare those 2 lenses on DXO, but I vaguely recall that the Tokina got a higher rating... You might wanna do that... DXO lets you use your camera model to compare the optical quality of multiple lenses and cameras...
Would have to agree... If you're on a DX format AND a budget, it's hard to get past the Tokina F/2.8 11-16mm. I like mine a lot. You'll get some CA but that's easily corrected for in post.

The Nikon 10-24mm I also like a lot, but the price tag not so much.