What is your favourite focus mode?

Pretzel

I usually tend to use a single focus point, sometimes with real time 3D tracking on, sometimes not (depending on what I'm shooting). That way, I can ALWAYS make sure I'm focused on what *I* want to be focused on. For framing, it's quite easy to move that focus point around as well.

fotojack

Most of the time I shoot single point mode. However, when shooting moving objects, I switch to matrix, or multi point focus. Depends which camera I'm using, too. :) The D300 has a LOT more focus points than the D200! lol :) Gawd I love this camera! :)

Steve B

Depends on what I am shooting. Portraits - AF-S single point (or MF), macro - same as portraits, Landscapes - depends on DOF that I need since focusing at the hyper-focal distance is easier using MF (IMHO), grandkids sports - probably AF-C with dynamic area (number of focus points dependent on type of movement/activity) or 3-D tracking. Focusing is one activity where one size doesn't fit all. :) Use whatever fits the situation.

RockyNH_RIP

How exactly do you guys set the focus mode to just AF-C and single mode? I don't really see an option to have the others off?

The AF mode button on the left bottom, press it and look in the top LCD screen.
Moving the back wheel scrolls thru AF-A, F & C

Once on C, continue holding the button in and use the front wheel which scrolls thru
Auto, S (which you want), D9, D21, D51 & 3D..

Hope this helps..

Pat in NH

MrF

My favorite focus mode? Auto focus. ;)

But seriously, 99% of the time I'm in AF-S and single point. When I had the camera to someone else to take a photo, I'll just flip it over to AF-S and Auto. It only took a few blurred photos of me by my fiancee before I learned that was easier than trying to explain how to move the focus point around.

Kodiak

The greatest number of the shots I take goes: AF-S and single point.
That is, the subjects movements are predictable in time and space.

If I'm dealing with an erratic subject, then the strategy will change.

Have a good day…

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I switched to AF-C with single point focus to photograph some moving ducks...they came out blurry. :(

Kodiak

I switched to AF-C with single point focus to photograph some moving ducks...they came out blurry. :(

Darn! … very frustrating indeed!

Hello hark, now you know this was not the right strategy!

I use this AF-C when the subject is coming toward me and only with the focus priority!

Maybe you will want to read my blog entry:
Common Photo Problems • Sure Focus Possible?
http://nikonites.com/blogs/kodiak/398-common-photo-problems-%95-sure-focus-possible.html#axzz2bKG9xx1f

I always make sure that this Focus priority is on!

Have a good day…

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Darn! … very frustrating indeed!

Hello hark, now you know this was not the right strategy!

I use this AF-C when the subject is coming toward me and only with the focus priority!

Maybe you will want to read my blog entry:
Common Photo Problems • Sure Focus Possible?
http://nikonites.com/blogs/kodiak/3...ms-%95-sure-focus-possible.html#axzz2bKG9xx1f

I always make sure that this Focus priority is on!

Have a good day…

Thank you, Kodiak. I bookmarked your blog and will see how the settings work when I have my camera out. I read the instructions--what does it mean when it is set to 'release'? What change will this setting create when it is disabled?

I haven't yet tried out the 3D tracking but don't know if that will be any better....

Kodiak

what does it mean when it is set to 'release'? What change will this setting create when it is disabled?

If RELEASE is selected, the camera will shoot immediately.
If FOCUS is selected, the camera will shoot after focus acquisition. So your duck will not end up in the trash!

CU

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If RELEASE is selected, the camera will shoot immediately.
If FOCUS is selected, the camera will shoot after focus acquisition. So your duck will not end up in the trash!

CU

Ahh...gotcha! Thanks! ;)

Now here's a question specifically on the D600 for those who might know--the focus points on the D600 don't extend to the sides too far. If I am in AF-C and focus on a subject, hold the shutter release part way down, then recompose, if the subject is now outside the focus points, how will that affect the overall focus of the subject? Will the camera refocus on something else? I haven't used AF-C enough to know its ins and outs. Thanks for any information! :)

12blackgt

Banned
Does anybody else find it odd that the 51 focus points are a heavily touted/advertised feature of the D7100, but hardly any posters in this thread are using it?

Kodiak

Does anybody else find it odd that the 51 focus points are a heavily touted/advertised feature of the D7100, but hardly any posters in this thread are using it?

…but hardly any posters in this thread are using it!

Hello 12blackgt!

These 51 focus points plus the P mode plus… (whatever bells and whistles) are
also available in my D3S, D3X,and D800E!

The purpose is to offer the maximum chance to any one, who comes up with
the money and has no idea about photography, to take good pictures. If the
manufacturers are tabbing on that, it's because there are zzzzillions of them
casual shooters out there… and they mean big money!

This type of shooters are rarely to be seen on forums like this one simply for
these two reasons:

1. They would show up with dream gear that they don't understand… they would
not be "recognized" as OWNERS but as no photo bugs! Bad for their wealthy egos!

2. Once your reach a forum like this, understanding your gear is the first thing
to do… and, from one thing to the other, the users will prefer to make educated
decision instead of letting the camera do all the work!

Knowledge is power! …we know that. The nikonites have, or tend to, more
knowledge! The more knowledge, the less those bells and whistles are used and,
consequently, irrelevant!

Who wants to loose fun time on irrelevancies!

Have a good day…

Last edited: