Nikon SB-300

carguy

For the user looking for a compact flash, might be a good option. I think I'd rather spring $60 or so for a clean used Nikon SB-24 speedlight.

WayneF

It may just be a price increase :) Guide Number is 59 (feet) instead of 69, but probably only because specs say it covers 18mm lenses instead of 24mm. That wider coverage would necessarily dilute its power a bit.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I like the idea of having a smaller size speedlight. I was very disappoint with the SB 400 since they were not durable at all (in my case).

The SB 300 uses two AAA batteries compared to the AA batteries. Might have to carry more if you are going to shoot all day. Recycle times is a little disappointing but that's the compromise that you take.

WayneF

Maybe I'm like the Texan, with his big four wheel drive pickup, enjoying making fun of the little Asian cars (but in truth, I drive a Prius).

But we definitely do need more power in our flashes. True, most camera users never learn the first thing about using flash, and at most, only use it a direct flash when it is too dark otherwise. Most obviously never try to learn anything about better methods, about improving the lighting, about improving the pictures. Obviously, it simply does not matter at all for them.

But for anyone actually trying to learn to improve their pictures, bounce flash becomes all important. And better, umbrellas and such, off camera. Something that can create good soft lighting. And power becomes quite important then. SB-400 and SB-300 cannot that stuff, no room to grow.

The SB-700 is not a full power level flash, but it is just sufficient for bounce, where the tiny flashes are simply not sufficient. Again, we have to care for it to matter, but it definitely matters if we care.

wud

Did a search for SB400 but didnt see this brand new thread. Hmm, bummer to hear you dont think SB400 are that great..