Maintenance?

vanone2005

Hi all. I am a beginner and have just bought a Nixon D3200. My question is, what things do I need to clean and maintain the camera and lens, and are there any special tips I should know about how to do it?

Many thanks in advance.
Van.

Horoscope Fish

Hi all. I am a beginner and have just bought a Nixon D3200. My question is, what things do I need to clean and maintain the camera and lens, and are there any special tips I should know about how to do it?
Welcome to the forums!

Beyond the standard advice about keeping your camera and lenses dry, and not changing lenses in nasty dusty places (duh), I only have a few cleaning tools that I use with any regularity... For general dusting off I suggest something like this large powder brush; $7 cheap and these things were *made* for lens cleaning. My other tools are a microfiber cloth which is good for de-smudging/defingerprinting lenses and filters. Get these cheap in the auto-parts section at Wal*Mart or Target. I also use canned air but the use of canned air can be controversial so I don't always suggest it. Other than that I try to take my camera in for a sensor cleaning every year, whether I think it needs it or not. My local place does it cheaply enough that I've never bothered buying a kit and doing it myself.

Carolina Photo Guy

Many thanks in advance.
Van.

If you decide ENTIRELY ON YOUR OWN to use your dishwasher, use it on the regular cycle with air dry. Them Dawn tablet thingies work pretty good. :stupid:

You should be aware that only an idiot would follow this tongue in cheek advice! :devilish:

Seriously, welcome to Nikonites! :triumphant:

​Pete

bechdan

ive got an air puffer - cheap from ebay, just for blowing dust around really, main thing I use is a lens cleaning cloth, can get them in many places, i wear glasses so use the one i get from my optician.
I wouldnt use any cleaning products on my camera, just de dust when needed and wipe. Best maintainance though is preventing it from getting dirty in the first place.

fotojack

The thing about the canned air controversy is using it properly. Shoot the first puffs of air into the air....THEN blast away at your lens. That gets rid of the possible propellant.

vanone2005

Calgary hey 'fotojack'?

I have been there a couple of times whilst I was in the Army. We trained on the prairie at camp Crowfoot, Rolston, near Medicine Hat.
I love Canada but the wife doesn't fancy 'Upping Sticks' :confused: