NikkorAF-S DX 10-24 f3.5 4.5G ED

Nikkor AF-S DX 12-24 f4.0 G IF-ED

The 10-24 sells for around $900.00

The 12-24 sells around $$1,224.00

So the price difference is cause of the
f stops? Compared and all the other stuff
​looked equal?

Rick M

The 12-24 is a pro-sumer lens, a bit better build quality and a constant aperture of f4. The 10-24 is a consumer grade lens, less robust, but excellent. To me the constant aperture has no bearing between these two as the average for the 10-24 is f4. I would Research image quality between the two to decide.

Rick M

For what it's worth, I owned the 10-24 and it's a good lens, the 12-24 is probably better. If I where shooting Dx again, I'd get the newer Tokina 11-16 over both of these.

donaldjledet

For what it's worth, I owned the 10-24 and it's a good lens, the 12-24 is probably better. If I where shooting Dx again, I'd get the newer Tokina 11-16 over both of these.

Yea that is what some of the others on site have said. Also the Tokina is priced lower. Image quality and sharpness is good?

Rick M

Yea that is what some of the others on site have said. Also the Tokina is priced lower. Image quality and sharpness is good?

From what I have heard, yes. If you need the range, the 10-24 is good. I like to look at resolution characteristics at photozone.de. Between the resolution data and verdict they are very accurate to what I have experienced.

donaldjledet

From what I have heard, yes. If you need the range, the 10-24 is good. I like to look at resolution characteristics at photozone.de. Between the resolution data and verdict they are very accurate to what I have experienced.

Yea Looking to use it for shots of some 200 to 500 year old Oak Trees. And Plantations Homes down here in Louisiana.
So the 11-16 or 10-24 would be a good range for that?

Rick M

Yea Looking to use it for shots of some 200 to 500 year old Oak Trees. And Plantations Homes down here in Louisiana.
So the 11-16 or 10-24 would be a good range for that?

Yea, as far as I'm concerned, if your gonna get an ultra wide, go wide! I'm not sure which is better at 11mm, check the resolution data for the range you are most likely to use. Most UW zooms are not very good on the long end, so the wide end data is important. The nikon has a lot of distortion at 10mm, so I usually backed off 10 a mm or 2.

donaldjledet

See Rick,,
Here is a photo of some. I'm looking to be able to see more of the trees from same distance.
As this was with the Nikkor 35mm. f1.8
DSC_1295.jpg

Rick M

I think the most important thing to do is the research and understand the factors such as resolution data that will give you quantitative data to make lens decisions. Almost everyone here (and on any forum) likes what they own and want you to like it too. Others will regularly recommend pro lenses because nothing compares. So advice is either buy this it's the best (most $2k lenses are!) or this is great because I have it. Read all the real user reviews you can find. Find which quality/price ratio works for you and make sure the data proves it will perform your needs.

Steve B

Another thing to keep in mind is DOF. Just as an example with your 35 mm lens at f/4 the hyperfocal distance is about 50 feet and your depth of field is from roughly 25 feet out to infinity. With the 10-24mm at 10mm and f/4 your hyperfocal distance is a little over 4 feet and your depth of field is from about 2 feet 3 inches out to infinity.

Steve B

The 10-24mm is on sale at bestbuy.com for $739.99 which is $160 off the normal price of $899.99 if you can find it. Looks like it is sold out online.