Noob question about Prime lenses and the F-Mount

Ste Booth

Hi all,

Gonna cut a long story short.

I had a Canon Eos. I wanted great glass at bargain prices. My friend said get old lenses that are M42 mount and buy the adapter. I did and have a great range of old lenses (Nifty-Fifty, 35mm f1.4 and a few others). Noticed that the colour on the old lenses were amazing and want to replicate it with my D7100 at seriously bargain prices. Asked my friend again about this one and he shrugged!

​Now, price is an issue but VR and manual focus/modern technology isn't! That can be stressed.

Question is;

If i were to buy old lens equivalents of the new lenses, what converter would i have to buy and would i be limited to one type of old school mount? (Like the M42 on the Canon). I know the 7100 is F-Mount and a 67 thread but i would really like to know what bargains i can pick up.

Spending £300 on one lens when i can buy some great quality glass for 1/10th of the price seems silly considering the 7100 has a built in rangefinder. And, i've also read that the 7100 is compatible with old lenses as far back as '83 because it has a motor that is universal (or did i dream that last bit?)

Thank you for listening to the ramblings of a new DSLR owner and thanks in advance for any replies.

Ste

Horoscope Fish

Short answer is Nikon SLR lenses use the "F-Mount" bayonet and have since the 1950's if memory serves me. Your D7100 also uses the F-Mount so... Yea, Nikon, for sticking with one mount for fifty-some-odd years!

Nikon, unlike some manufacturers, did not change mount styles with the advent of Auto-focus motors. In fact, if I have my history correct, The F-mount compatible lenses make up the largest system of interchangeable lenses EVARRR.

So yeah, if you're okay with being *completely* manual on your D7100, go nuts dude. If it's an F-Mount, it'll fit your D7100.

Last edited:

Bill16

I have a D3100 and I use a lot of older lenses myself. I really like some of them, like my 105mm. But like my friend HF said they are fully manual. Mine only works on M mode unless they are AF or AF-S. AF is still manual focus on my Nikon but I don't have to use M mode to use it. For true auto focus I have to use AF-S lenses on my D3100. :)

Ste Booth

I never shoot out of M and always shoot RAW, i think the lens won't recognise the lens or digital readout on the aperture etc in any other mode. I'm stoked now and have searched the web for days to find a definite answer to no avail. You guys gave it to me in, what! 15 minutes? ha ha This site is awesome..ask a question, get an answer. Glad i found you guys :)

WayneF

Generally, D7100 can use virtually any Nikon lens, old or new, AF or not. However, there are a few ifs and buts about old lenses, in two categories.

Less expensive Nikon camera models (including current D3200, D5200) must use AF-S lenses. Those bodies do not have a lens focusing motor, so can only do auto focus if using newer lenses (AF-S) which do have a motor in them.

D7100 can. It has the motor in body, so it can use AF-S lenses or not, either way. Most old lenses (including manual focus lenses) also work fine. They must be AI lenses (all made since 1977). Older lenses could be modified to AI, but not all were.

However, there are still a few rather special cases that cannot be used, by about any digital model (but which are very unlikely to involve new users).

The D7100 user manual is online at
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

The D7100 "Compatible Lenses" chart is on page 295 (and next few pages)

Tyler

Generally, D7100 can use virtually any Nikon lens, old or new, AF or not. However, there are a few ifs and buts about old lenses, in two categories.

Less expensive Nikon camera models (including current D3200, D5200) must use AF-S lenses. Those bodies do not have a lens focusing motor, so can only do auto focus if using newer lenses (AF-S) which do have a motor in them.

D7100 can. It has the motor in body, so it can use AF-S lenses or not, either way. Most old lenses (including manual focus lenses) also work fine. They must be AI lenses (all made since 1977). Older lenses could be modified to AI, but not all were.

However, there are still a few rather special cases that cannot be used, by about any digital model (but which are very unlikely to involve new users).

The D7100 user manual is online at
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download

The D7100 "Compatible Lenses" chart is on page 295 (and next few pages)

So on the D7100 or a camera with the focus motor built in, you can take a manual focus lens and it will auto focus?

WayneF

So on the D7100 or a camera with the focus motor built in, you can take a manual focus lens and it will auto focus?

No, no, no. :) You need an AF lens if you want AF.

But the D7100 or other camera with the motor can focus any lens that is auto focus, be it a AF-S (with motor in lens), or the older D or G type with no motor in lens. The AF-S has no drive connection to the body motor.

Tyler

No, no, no. :) You need an AF lens if you want AF.

But the D7100 or other camera with the motor can focus any lens that is auto focus, be it a AF-S (with motor in lens), or the older D or G type with no motor in lens. The AF-S has no drive connection to the body motor.

Okay I think I got it. So I've only really ever noticed "AF" on Nikon brand lenses, so does that go for only Nikon lenses?

Another point could be when I purchased my 50mm prime lens, I got the 1.8G because it had the focus motor built it. but if I had say the 7100 i could have bought the 1.8D because it is still an AF lens but does not have a built in focus motor?

Sorry about all the noob questions! Just trying to learn.

WayneF

Okay I think I got it. So I've only really ever noticed "AF" on Nikon brand lenses, so does that go for only Nikon lenses?

Another point could be when I purchased my 50mm prime lens, I got the 1.8G because it had the focus motor built it. but if I had say the 7100 i could have bought the 1.8D because it is still an AF lens but does not have a built in focus motor?

Sorry about all the noob questions! Just trying to learn.

I'm not sure I understand your question fully.

Some non-Nikon for Nikon cameras say AF-S, and some of them are AF but not AF-S.

And the D7100 will operate AF lenses that are not AF-S (with motor), or the AF-S too.

The D nomenclature means the lens has a chip in it that communicates with the camera, notably focus distance. All Nikon lenses since 1992 are D lenses now.

The G nomenclature means the lens does not have aperture ring for manually setting apeture. Instead, a dial on the camera operates it. This is becoming rather common, most of them.

And AF-S is becoming rather common.

This may help:

Nikon Lens Nomenclature - a study in frustration

Which NIKKOR Lens Type is Right for Your D-SLR | Understanding NIKKOR Lens Nomenclature from Nikon

If the lens just says D, that means it is not G or AF-S

If it just says G, that means it is not AF-S.