The 6 most common mistakes beginners make in Landscape photography

Moab Man

1. Ground and sky are split 50/50.
2. Nothing in the forefront of a shot to anchor it all.
3. Subject is back lit.
4. I need a better camera because this one can't take very good pictures.

Moab Man

MM, isnt no4 a common problem:D

It's why I keep buying better cameras... trying to buy my way to Dave_W quality. Sure, I could just buy a D4 and have outstanding pictures, but I want people to believe I got better along the way so I'm just incrementally stepping up one camera at a time allowing the camera to carry my sad butt along. :)

But I don't want to hijack this thread in a different direction than it was intended so I better make another suggestion...

5. Tripod - Even though you might be using a faster shutter any picture can benefit from a rock solid platform.
6. Horizon - Get it leveled. (A certain cat picture of mine in another thread comes to mind that I'm still kicking myself for not straightening the image! BUT, I have learned from this stupid stupid mistake and it won't happen again... see, all better now and it didn't cost me $10,000 dollars in therapy.)

Roy1961

Contributor
thats why the cat is so unhappy in that picture MM, "darnit i bet he hasnt got the Horizon level";)

Moab Man

thats why the cat is so unhappy in that picture MM, "darnit i bet he hasnt got the Horizon level";)

Awe crud, even the cat knows how bad a photographer I am!?

Following my above rule to keep my post on track relative to the thread... #7

7. Filters - over the lens, particularly cheap ones, is a piece of glass that can cause reflection or flares in your picture.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think the biggest mistake that is made from beginners is to look through the camera and focus their attention at the subject instead of looking at the ground glass and looking at the composition and lighting. I was lucky to be able to have worked with large format because with a large ground glass, you do have to look at the image and not just focus on what attracts you to take the picture.

​Looking at my own shots I would say that they lack interest...

This is because I consistently fail to realise that what excites me as a scenery does not necessarily translate into a great image...