Prime Options.....

fhibbs12

Well Well....

85 1.8 g and 50 1.8 g are the 2 I have currently in the prime lineup....

The sigma 35 1.4 landed and I started using it and it is sooooooo sharp..... I love it.... However, I was in my Brother in laws wedding and asked him if I could stroll around and take some photos. Unpaid of course and strictly to only test this sigma lens.

My conclusion..... Sharp as hell; however, I spent way to much time at home cropping images. I felt like I was constantly having to move closer and closer. So for me and my style this lens does not suit the $1k spent on it.

So my question, since the money is already spent. Is the 50 1.4g a sufficient upgrade in sharpness from the 1.8? What about the 85 1.4? I was talking to one of the 2 shooters are the wedding and he had the 105 macro stuck to his d700 the entire time. I guess my dilemma is, I now have $1k to spend and trying to weigh my options and wider than 50 just does not suit me for my style at this point in my shooting.

So would you upgrade the....

50 1.8 to a 1.4 ?
85 1.8 to the 1.4 ?
I was thinking the 70-200 f4 but my version of the tamron 70-300 is outstanding....
I don't own a macro yet?
Would the tamron 24-70 2.8 or the 70-200 2.8 even be worth risking the third party again....

75% of my photos are portraits for family and friends typically outdoors on location.. I prefer primes over zooms and really interested in the 50-150ish range.

fhibbs12

Well, I <3 my 85 for posed portraits. Not sure if it is just the lens I am the best and most comfortable with or what but Ill grab it almost every time for posed shots.

I guess my reasoning for the Sigma 35 was it just sounded logical for a 2 prime walk around kit with my 85. But if it doesn't feel right in my hands there is no fixing it.....

The shot i "feel" like I am missing, I NEVER plan to be an actual paid event photographer, are those up close head and shoulder shots of my kids. I have an 8 month old and slamming the camera in her face just does not seem right. Thats what is pushing me to a 24-70 or a 70-200... The ability to bust out a full body shot then get in close for a head shot. The 85's minimum focus does't seem to cut it for those types.

Horoscope Fish

50 1.8 to a 1.4? <--- Too little "upgrade" for the cost.
85 1.8 to the 1.4? <--- Too little "upgrade" for the cost.

I was thinking the 70-200 f4 but my version of the tamron 70-300 is outstanding... <--- Same as above.

I prefer primes over zooms and really interested in the 50-150ish range. <---- Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR
If you really want to stick with a prime, and I'm not saying I blame you, the Nikon 105, above, is a winner.

If you're going to consider zooms, the 24-70mm is a smashing little lens though you may want to consider the Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR as well.

Last edited:

fhibbs12

If you really want to stick with a prime, and I'm not saying I blame you, the Nikon 105, above, is a winner.
I agree the 24-70mm is a smashing little lens but it's not a prime, so I'm not sure what to say to that.

If you're going to consider zooms, though, you may want to consider the Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR as well. Just a thought...

I got the little 24-85 with my d600. Was looking for a little more DoF :)

My plan was for 2 kits pretty much. the 24-85 and 70-300 for vacations and zoos and whatnot.

Then a portrait set so to say.... I guess Im just looking for a reason to spend some money when I need nothing atm. I guess a macro would fit the bill however since I dont own one.

JDFlood

The 105 f2.8 macro is a great lens for weddings. Has VR, is a prime, and when not at a wedding you got yourself a great macro. Very versatile although heavy lens. JD

Steve B

Another vote for the 105mm. From what I have read upgrading either the 50mm or the 85mm is not a cost effective solution for you. If you are happy with your Tamron 70-300mm I wouldn't worry about upgrading that right now. The 105mm is a great lens and will give you a lot of flexibility.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Obviously everyone has their own style. The actual experience that you gained during the wedding taught you a lot of valuable lessons.

If you are using prime lenses, use two bodies with your Sigma 35mm f1.4 and 85mm or 105mm.

If not, the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII are a must have for just about any occassions. I can't live without those two which is why they are my favorite lenses.

fhibbs12

I have no desire to be a wedding photog at all.... It was a brother I laws wedding.... Big big drunk fest basically so I spent most of the time forcing myself onto this focal range.

When I came home to post I felt like I was consistently cropping 30% of the photo out.... Definitely means the focal length is not for me. Especially since it made me feel like I was way up in peoples grill.

I have actually considered using my return money on a d7100 and putting the 85 1.8 on it and keeping the 50 on the d600 lol

Think I might go with a long prime though or the tamron 24-70.

Have all the issues with the tamron been bugged out? I really like and have had great experiences with the tamron 70-300