Inexpensive macro lens

clarnibass

Hi
I'd like to know what options are there for a macro lens I'm looking for.

Right now I use a Nikon 55mm f/3.5 which is excellent. The reason I want something different is mainly because I have to use a tube to allow x0.5-x1.0 magnification and remove the tube when I want less than x0.5 magnification. It's too often that I need to change between just under x0.5 (not enough to use any of my other lenses) and up to x1.0. It's becoming too annoying to keep removing and remounting the tube.

So I'm looking for a macro lens that gets to x1.0 without needing an extension tube. It can be either AF or MF, but the MF ring has to feel at least decent since I use MF for macro at least 90% of the time. I'll accept a downgrade from my lens in this regard but it can't be terrible (an example of a decent one is the Tamron 70-300 VC and an example of a terrible one is the Nikon 28mm 1.8G). Aperture of f/2.8 is an advantage but not necessary. Longer focus range is a plus but anything above 50mm is ok.

Here is the issue... I'd rather not spend much more than the cost of my current lens (I might even keep it). The only lens I'm aware of is the previous model Tamron 90mm (not the new VC model). Are there any other options?

Thank you

Bill16

My 105mm is all manual but it works very well and it was under $200.00 ! It is listed in my signature. I got it off of ebay. It's my favorite lens and it has great manual focus! :)

Bill16

PS. You could likely find the ai version that will likely work just as well as mine for about the same cost. It will be a little less bulky if it's like my 135mm and my 200mm. So that might be just as good or better! :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi

Here is the issue... I'd rather not spend much more than the cost of my current lens (I might even keep it). The only lens I'm aware of is the previous model Tamron 90mm (not the new VC model). Are there any other options?

Thank you

Get a dedicated macro lens. A used lens from various brands will do including the older Nikkor manual focus lenses. The Tamron 90mm f2.8 will do well for your needs.

clarnibass

Bill16, if I'm not mistaken the pre-AI, AI and AIS Nikon MF macro lenses, which mine is one, get to approx x0.5 and need the extension ring for x1.0 magnification, no...? Does yours get to x1.0 magnification without an extension ring?

Gqtuazon, thanks, though mine is already a dedicated macro lens and I want to get another dedicated macro lens instead (or in addition to it). The question is, how is the focus ring on the Tamron (previous model)? Is it at least as good as the Tamron 70-300 VC lens? When you say the older Nikkor MF lenses, which ones work from infinity to x1.0 without the additional ring? Mine is a Nuikon macro lens (or micro as Nikon calls it) and as I said, requires the ring (the reason I want to get something else).

Thanks again

Bill16

I'm still learning and I'm not sure, though my 105mm is Micro-nikkor and this is what I was able to take using it. :D And there is no special ring to to set to micro to get these shots, so I would guess that it is. :)
1375205713744.jpg

1375563790873.jpg
Bill16, if I'm not mistaken the pre-AI, AI and AIS Nikon MF macro lenses, which mine is one, get to approx x0.5 and need the extension ring for x1.0 magnification, no...? Does yours get to x1.0 magnification without an extension ring?

Gqtuazon, thanks, though mine is already a dedicated macro lens and I want to get another dedicated macro lens instead (or in addition to it). The question is, how is the focus ring on the Tamron (previous model)? Is it at least as good as the Tamron 70-300 VC lens? When you say the older Nikkor MF lenses, which ones work from infinity to x1.0 without the additional ring? Mine is a Nuikon macro lens (or micro as Nikon calls it) and as I said, requires the ring (the reason I want to get something else).

Thanks again

clarnibass

Not knowing the details of the photos and the size of the spider it's hard to say what magnifiation this is. A general impression of what the size is it seems to be significantly less than x1.0, but I could be wrong. For me x1.0 is critical.

Bill16

OK. Sorry I couldn't be of help. I hope you'll be able to find the lens your needing. :)
Not knowing the details of the photos and the size of the spider it's hard to say what magnifiation this is. A general impression of what the size is it seems to be significantly less than x1.0, but I could be wrong. For me x1.0 is critical.

Bill16

I went and did a Google search and your right. To make the 105mm I have work at 1:1 I would need to use a PN-11 extension tube. I may look into getting one sometime so I can try it out. :D

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Thanks again

You need to get a longer FL such as 90mm or longer so that your working distance is not too close to your subjects (if you are shooting insects). If you don't have the funds yet, save and get a really good one such as what Bill uses, Tamron, Tokina, and especially the Sigma 150mm f2.8. These are all sharp lenses when it comes to macro/micro.

Bill16

My 105mm is 1:2 but with the nikkor PN-11 extension tube I'm suppose to get 1:1, so after finding this out due to this thread I've bought one, and I'm just waiting till it's delivered to try it out. :)

clarnibass

You need to get a longer FL such as 90mm or longer so that your working distance is not too close to your subjects (if you are shooting insects). If you don't have the funds yet, save and get a really good one such as what Bill uses, Tamron, Tokina, and especially the Sigma 150mm f2.8. These are all sharp lenses when it comes to macro/micro.
Maybe I need to clarify.

I know what FL I need or don't need. It is not a question here. Anything above 50mm would work for me like I mentioned in the first post. I don't shoot insects and I know what working distance each FL would give me. It is not an issue at all.

It is also not an issue of saving for a more expensive lens. It's a matter of how much I'm willing to spend on this lens.

I'm simply trying to find out what other macro lenses are longer than 50mm, have at least a decent feel for the focus ring, cost more or less the same as the previous (non-VC) Tamron 90mm (preferably less) and wouldn't require a extra ring to get to x1.0 magnification.

For example, the 40mm is too short, the newest AF 105mm is too expensive (same for Sigma 150mm), the older MF Nikons that I'm familiar with need the extra ring. If not for the ring the one I have is great, but that ring is the reason I want to replace it.

Thanks again.

clarnibass

My 105mm is 1:2 but with the nikkor PN-11 extension tube I'm suppose to get 1:1, so after finding this out due to this thread I've bought one, and I'm just waiting till it's delivered to try it out. :)
That's what I thought. Mine is the same except being the 55mm lens, it uses the PK-13 tube (which I have). Both are excellent lenses. It's just that for my use with the lens the extra tube is a hassle since it prevent focusing for under x0.5 magnification.

Nikon78

The 85mm f3.5 micro Nikkor may be an option. It is a DX lens but gives 1:1 without tubes. I do not know if it will work with your camera, but if it will, it gives excellent images. I really like mine.

LKO

aroy

I bought this http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK06010200791N?r=FE from KEH a couple of years ago. It is an excellent lens, long enough for insect work and excellent with extensions. I got bargain and it works perfectly.

Instead of juggling with tubes between 0.5x and 1x, I would suggest getting a higher MP camera, say a D3200 and crop. Another way out is to get the bellows extension like this Nikon Imaging Asia Pacific this will give you variable magnification. It is a bit unwieldy but worth the trouble