Misrepresentation

imnunky

I did genuinely tried to find an appropriate place for this, below is a copy and paste of an add I found in a local classified, I did not send a corrective mail to seller for fear of reprisals but it annoyed me greatly, I had to do something, this kind of thing is also a scam, pls read carefully and discover how many thing are wrong in the add, I also included image, Comments pls

View larger image

Date Listed17-Nov-10 Price$1,075.00 AddressEdmonton, AB T5E 2Z9, Canada
View map

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Description

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED is a compact, lightweight telephoto zoom lens designed to give a unique shooting experience. This Nikon VR lens conserves battery power by canceling the vibration reduction of the view finder, thus minimizing the image blur caused by the camera shake. This telephoto zoom lens has ED glass lenses which deliver superior sharpness and contrast by minimizing chromatic aberration, giving a superior optical performance. The Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED features Nine-blade rounded diaphragm that achieves a natural blur for the out-of-focus elements. The Defocus-image Control technology of this Nikon VR lens allows photographers to control the degree of foreground or background spherical aberration by rotating the lens' DC ring.[/FONT]
Lens is in brand new mint condition , retails in stores for $1,550. Priced to sell !

What's Included
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon 80-400mm VR Lens[/FONT]​
  • Hood
  • Case
  • Box and Manuals

Carolina Photo Guy

I learned a long time ago that you can't save the world from themselves. ANYONE that does the research, will dodge this turkey.
Those that fail to research this type of purchase, kinda deserve to be ripped.
You are not being taken if you leave yourself wide open. You are OFFERING yourself.
Knowledge may be power, but stupidity is universal.

Pete

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

The lens was released in 2000 so it's very old technology, especially for the VR. The reviews on it are not very kind. It is an AF but is camera body screw driven which means the focusing is very slow which also means it will do a lot of "hunting" for the correct focus point. By todays standards it's not as sharp as it could be. From about 300mm out the sharpness falls off. In it's day it was probably a decent lens. The seller makes some inaccurate claims about it's capabilities, trying to puff it up to sell. Puffing up a product to sell is one thing but making false statements is questionable. He obviously knows something about photography so I don't think he could claim the miss statements to be honest mistakes. B&H Photo sells the lens new for around $1,495. I don't know if I would pay as much as he is asking for it used.