Lens for plantations and Garden district.

donaldjledet

With the D7100 what wide angle would work for taking shots of those big plantation Homes and Houses of Old New Orleans.

No state sales tax on any items today. So I was looking to purchase a lens today?
Thanks

fotojack

If I had the money, the first wide angle lens I would get would be the Tokina 11-16. On a cropped sensor, this would be ideal, IMHO. :)

Moab Man

It's a great lens on the D7100, I have it.

The ultra ultra wide angles like the Tokina are a different animal altogether and have a definite learning curve. For example, if I'm shooting a sunset but the clouds are only on the horizon then a wide angle is not what I would use due to how far away everything is pushed. But, if I have clouds/color that is rising up and wrapping back to to me this is great for the lens. The point, it's pretty easy to fill the lens from side to side, but the vertical axis can at times be difficult. And you want to have the camera held level or as you tilt up or down it will curl the corners of the shot (however it can be a cool effect). I am not trying to dissuade you from the lens. Simply sharing the excellent information that was shared prior to my purchase and my crash course learning curve on a very wide angle lens.

Last edited:

donaldjledet

So here are a couple I took with the Nikkor 35mm f1.8
so the tokina or sigma wide angle should be able to get the whole house from same distance? DSC_1269.jpgDSC_1228_01.jpg

Moab Man

Easily! The key is to keep the camera as level as possible. Give me a moment and I will post a picture of a house with the lens.

Moab Man

Here you go... it's a horrible shot quickly fired to not keep you waiting. It was at 11mm.

Lens: Tokina AT-X116 Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8
TokinaWidth.jpg

donaldjledet

Yes I know what's that like I was at Archie Manning old house which is now owned by Sandra Bullock. Neighbors watching everything I was photographing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Horoscope Fish

If they have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 juuuuuuust get one. Great lens on the D7100.

Tokina also makes a great 12-24mm but it's not a constant f/2.8 like the 11-16 is. Still a great lens and a tiny bit more range.