Most economical and the best wide angle lens

SJD

This will probably be a personal opinion. But are there wide angle lens that i can buy below $500 ? if not what would you consider as the best and the most economical wide angle lens there is ?

Skytalker

The best compromise of quality/price/useful focal lengths, is perhaps the Tokina 12-24 F/4. Sure it is below 500$, on ebay is 300 pounds sterling.

JohnB

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above choices. Go and try them out and see how they feel. Also, consider buying used to stay within your budget.

Bukitimah

I am eyeing on the 11-16 f2.8 but always asking what can I get out of it above my 17-50 f2.8. Is 11 mm to 17 mm going to give me a much wider view?

jwstl

I am eyeing on the 11-16 f2.8 but always asking what can I get out of it above my 17-50 f2.8. Is 11 mm to 17 mm going to give me a much wider view?
Yes. The difference between 11 and 17 is huge. It may "only" be 6mm but it's a large percentage and thus a big difference.

RON_RIP

I am sure you can get a used Tokina 11-16 for $500. Though I .have never seen them refurbished Absolutely a first class lens.

slowpoke

I like the option of having a F2.8 for indoor and out door shooting,over an F4.I use 2 lenses now.the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 and the 70-200mm F2.8.I couldn't carry anymore weight lol.

Rick M

I think if I were in the market, I'd take a look at the new Tokina jwstl mentioned. Not a lot of reviews out yet, but the range and samples look good. I'm a fan of newer lenses as manufacturers are pushed more than ever to keep up with much higher resolution sensors. While some "great" lenses of the past can stand up to the increased scrutiny, "average" lenses are showing their flaws. The 10-20 sigma and 11-16 Tokina still do well, but the newer Tokina is definitely worth a look.

Bukitimah

I am now seriously looking at the 11-16 Tokina. However, I understand there are 3 versions? Any guy here can share their difference and price range? In the B&S it gets confusing.

Moab Man

There is the original and the "II." The big change from the original to the second is some new lens coatings and the addition of a focus motor in the lens. When I was looking to purchase I found there to be ~$100 difference. I went with "II" because coatings are always improving and the lens would be versatile to use on any model of Nikon. Not sure about the third model you referenced.

Bukitimah

There is the original and the "II." The big change from the original to the second is some new lens coatings and the addition of a focus motor in the lens. When I was looking to purchase I found there to be ~$100 difference. I went with "II" because coatings are always improving and the lens would be versatile to use on any model of Nikon. Not sure about the third model you referenced.

​Thanks Roy. So there are only 2 models out there?