Life cycle of the Cicadas

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I was curious on who's causing the strange noise that I've been hearing every year. It appears these insects are called "Cicadas". I was able to shoot some of their old shells and saw an adult cicada.

Sharing a documentary film that I found on the net.

[video=vimeo;66688653]http://vimeo.com/66688653[/video]

Here are some of the pictures that I shot today.

macro 001 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

macro 008 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

macro 044 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

bechdan

thats really interesting, ive only seen one once, ugly things, thanks for sharing.
1001656_10153040124925179_1264454826_n.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
Very cool images!! Those little guys are really hard to find. I've been camping in the desert several times where the cicadas were so loud that we had to scream to each other just to be heard. So when they say it can approach the same decibel level as a jet plane, they're not kidding. The cicada chorus started right before sundown and went for about 45 mins before going completely silent. And after all the noise to go completely quiet makes the silence seem all that more quiet.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Very cool images!! Those little guys are really hard to find. I've been camping in the desert several times where the cicadas were so loud that we had to scream to each other just to be heard. So when they say it can approach the same decibel level as a jet plane, they're not kidding. The cicada chorus started right before sundown and went for about 45 mins before going completely silent. And after all the noise to go completely quiet makes the silence seem all that more quiet.

I can imagine if you have hundreds or thousands of cicadas all grouped together, they can be very noisy just like when you hear a group of frogs croaking at the same time. 17 years life span is pretty amazing for these bugs.