80-200mm f/2.8 still a fine piece of glass?

Gladiator

Hello,

I'm not very rich and i was wondering if the 80-200mm f/2.8 is still considered a good lens by today's standards? I mean before the 70-200 they were in every pros bag weren't they?

Or should i just save the extra grand and go for the 70-200mm (is VR worth 1000$), frankly i think i'd rather splurge for the 14-24mm f/2.8 since i do more landscape and architectural stuff...

Oh i use a D700.

Any opinions?

Thanks all.
Ronald

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The 80-200/2.8 is a great lens. Do you realize that there has been 5 different versions? Roughly they are 1) the original one ring, manual focus, tripod mount version; 2) the autofocus, non-D, no tripod mount version; 3) the AF-D, no tripod mount version; 4) the two-ring, AF-D, tripod mount; and 5) the AF-S D, tripod mount version.

I have the third version sometimes referred to as the push/pull. To be honest, I don't use it very often. It is heavy and slow focusing. But when I have, the bokeh is amazing. I purchased mine used for $400 a few years ago. At that price for occasional use, I'm okay with it.

Ranie

Hi Ronald

Yes, the 80-200 F2.8 is a very good piece of glass. There are different versions of it though. Stay away from the push-pull version as it is known to suck dust inside, but the 80-200 F2.8 AF-D also known as the 2 ring version is still at par with todays standards. Here is the review of Ken Rockwell on this lens. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D (new)
There is also another rare version of this lens. The 80-200 AF-S. Bigger and heavier than the AF-D version. Some says its sharper than the AF-D. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S

Gladiator

Hi Ronald

Yes, the 80-200 F2.8 is a very good piece of glass. There are different versions of it though. Stay away from the push-pull version as it is known to suck dust inside, but the 80-200 F2.8 AF-D also known as the 2 ring version is still at par with todays standards. Here is the review of Ken Rockwell on this lens. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D (new)
There is also another rare version of this lens. The 80-200 AF-S. Bigger and heavier than the AF-D version. Some says its sharper than the AF-D. Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S

Thanks, i think i'd try to find an AF-D since the AF-S has tons of plastic and it seems there's a lot of defective one out there.

johnwartjr

I would say it's a very nice lens. I've used one on film a lot, and really enjoyed it.

The newer 70-200s do focus a bit faster, but depending on what you're doing with it, would depend on whether it's worth another thousand to you.

$1000 to some people is a fortune, to some people it's a drop in the bucket. I'm one of the ones it seems like a fortune to :)

markD90

iv got the two ring version and LOVE it!!

paid 600 quid second hand and it's perfect! had some great results with it!
only draw back is with my 2x teleconverter on i have to switch to man/focus as it hunts back and forth on auto!

but that may be the t/c to be honest

Last edited by a moderator: