D70 shutter problems (?)

psf2001uk

Hi,

I have a 2004 D70, but am currently unable to use it. Pressing to take a picture gives an "ERR" message, and no picture is taken. Pressing again causes the mirror/shutter to click, but no picture.

This happened now and again over the last few years, but always seemed to clear itself on the next picture.

I've tried/checked:

-battery
-several different memory cards
-factory reset
-different lens

but none of these have helped.

To try to narrow-down what is happening, I went to mirror-lock mode. Pressing the shutter gives the error message again, but nothing happens (mirror stays down).

If I remove the lens, same as above - but the mirror flips up and returns on the second press. Tried bulb mode but this also errors-out, so can't get to the point where I can see both mirror and shutter open.

Can anyone suggest any further tricks or tips that would help me get closer to understanding where the problem is?

Have seen that shutter problems are well-known on the D70. Hoping it isn't this, as it would be an expensive repair, and perhaps difficult to justify on a relatively old camera. I'd like to keep it, as it is a very capable piece of kit, and (more so) beacuse it belonged to my father -who took many great pictures with it.

Forum thoughts & wisdom appreciated!

Thanks/paul

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Have you tried it with different lenses? The lens-camera contacts might be at cause here, confusing the camera's meter and shutter speed.

Just a guess.

Otherwise, it could be something serious that I have no clue off.

​Try cleaning the lens contacts first.

psf2001uk

Thanks to all for the replies!

Mfrankfort: sorry - my description wasn't clear. I still get the error message if I take the lens off, going to mirror lock mode, etc. I have tried a combination of "cpu" lenses, and a fully manual lens, but same result - no picture taken.

Marcel: OK - I gave the lens and contacts in the body a good cleaning today, but, unfortunately, it didn't help.

Pedroj: the main lens I use is one of the "G" cpu types, so it doesn't have an aperture ring. I tried an older/fully manual lens, but the camera gave a flashing "F" symbol, so couldn't find settings to use with this