Concert image

pambonello

I have never taken concert photos and this was my first attempt. Took this photo during a recent of Joseph Calleja in Malta. Any ideas on how to improve on the quality of the image?

Device: Nikon D3200
Lens: VR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 300mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/125s
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 2800)

Carolina Photo Guy

I have never taken concert photos and this was my first attempt. Took this photo during a recent of Joseph Calleja in Malta. Any ideas on how to improve on the quality of the image?

Everything looks pretty good except for one tiny issue.

THERE AIN'T NO PICTURE!

But other than that... :cool:

pambonello

Ooopsies! :eek: DSC_0090_resize.jpg

Kodiak

This I do many times a year with the same difficulties every time.

Considering that stade light technicians have no idea of what they are doing most
of the time. If your looking at opera houses or theatres, where the producers have
a lot to do with the house staff to optimize decor, sound and light, there you may
have a chance to get really beautiful setups. …or even rock concerts for that matter!

…About your picture…

Obviously, the choir is in blue, the orchestra in white and the singer…?
This is what I was talking about… the singer get a spot of white and two yellow,
from both sides, with some yellow colour spills on the musicians on his left!

Trying the balance a take on both counts of WB and tonal range is quite impossible
in these conditions.

Conclusion:
Overall exposure and WB are ok. The necessary tweaks here are the WB and tonal
range of the signer. If they pay for it, proceed using the layer compound technique.
If they don't, tweak the signer and let the rest of the image follow.

Vbrg,

ohkphoto

Snow White

It's actually a pretty nice image, especially for a first time.

My first suggestion is for future references. I'm assuming this photo is uncropped. Try not to cut off the main subject's feet. In this photo, if you had shifted the camera down a little, included the singer's feet on the stage, you would have eliminated part of the choir that is in blue.

For this photo (since you can't put his feet back), I would crop the top part of the photo (back row of choir) and a little from the right (the conductor's stand) to keep the aspect ratio if it's important. Eliminating that choir "blue row" would help the WB I would also lessen the exposure on the singer's face so that it doesn't look so washed out, and add a little more exposure to the conductor.

The way I see your photo, the singer is the main center of interest, the conductor secondary and supporting your "telling a story" line. All your tweaking and adjusting should be based on that.

​Hope this helps.

pambonello

Thanks @ohkPhoto, I get your point and made the necessary adjustments. The problem with the feet cutting is the actual stage itself. The singer's position made it impossible to get his feet as they were constantly covered by flowers and other things on stage. I am attaching another one from the same night, following your suggested adjustments to also give you an idea of the feet problem.DSC_0091_resize.jpg