Noobie Here

shungokusatsu29

HI Everyone!

I finally saved up enough money to buy my first camera and start my quest as an amateur photog! I'm considering getting a 50mm lens (per a friends recommendation) as well as a 35mm prime lens for guitar videos. I'm going to do my research here but my main focus is to do some landscaping/nightscene shots as well as some portrait work (for friends and family). Anywho, I'm glad to finally be part of this community. I got to know my camera a little bit today, and the learning curve isn't too bad for a beginner. My next task is to learn about ISOs as well as aperature (camera shutter speed right?) and figure out how to use various settings to maximize the quality and 'look' of my shooting! Any beginner tips/advice is greatly appreciated! I know stuff doesn't happen over night, so, I'll be taking my time and enjoying this rewarding experience.

Cullen

Vincent

aperature (camera shutter speed right?)

Welcome from another starter.

When you look at Exif data, you will see:
Focal Length: 160mm
Aperture: F/2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/6s
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1250

All these are essential: I enjoyed this man´s explanation: How to set Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO when shooting in Manual Mode - YouTube on how to find it on your camera. Try some other tutorials as well.
The next thing is to learn how to focus with your machine, certainly if you want to auto focus, it is all but automatic.

Most important, do your thing and try till you like it, do not try to copy the others.

Moab Man

Long exposure is a blast to do with some great outcomes... some expected and others not so much.

For daytime long exposure you will need a neutral density filter... suggest a variable.
For daytime landscape I suggest a circular polarizer.

But first, get to know the camera or you will drive yourself insane.

​Welcome.

shungokusatsu29

Long exposure is a blast to do with some great outcomes... some expected and others not so much.

For daytime long exposure you will need a neutral density filter... suggest a variable.
For daytime landscape I suggest a circular polarizer.

But first, get to know the camera or you will drive yourself insane.

​Welcome.

Thank you for the tips! I definitely almost drove myself nuts yesterday. Had no success trying to capture shots of a Super Cell that was passing over; I don't think my 18-55mm lense was the best option for such a task!

Moab Man

When in doubt, flip the camera to the auto setting and take the picture. Then you can look at the settings the camera chose to give you some insight on what you might have wanted to select manually. Of course, there are a number of combinations you can do once you have a better understanding, but for right now you can "cheat" and have a look look at the answers from the camera.

Additionally, you can always post up a picture with the EXIF data and ask... what could I should have done differently. Great people on this forum, but they will harp on READ YOUR MANUAL :) which is good advice but at first it will all seem Greek. Just keep grinding away and eventually it will start to translate from Greek to English.

Enjoy and keep shooting... A LOT! More you do it the better you will get.

shungokusatsu29

When in doubt, flip the camera to the auto setting and take the picture. Then you can look at the settings the camera chose to give you some insight on what you might have wanted to select manually. Of course, there are a number of combinations you can do once you have a better understanding, but for right now you can "cheat" and have a look look at the answers from the camera.

Additionally, you can always post up a picture with the EXIF data and ask... what could I should have done differently. Great people on this forum, but they will harp on READ YOUR MANUAL :) which is good advice but at first it will all seem Greek. Just keep grinding away and eventually it will start to translate from Greek to English.

Enjoy and keep shooting... A LOT! More you do it the better you will get.

I totally understand the forum-life and searching for answers, so I'll be sure to do that! Now, EXIF; I think that is what popped up on the screen yesterday and it took me 30 mins to figure out how to take it off lol.