Standing guard...

Gladiator

Remains from an old 1840 wooden house that was the victim of arson 2 years ago :-( All that's left is that nice and lonely chimney and the ruins of the stone house (not seen on that picture). I have a whole set of photos from that site.

Attachments

• Maison Dupras-1.jpg
    Maison Dupras-1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 100

Joseph Bautsch

Good exposure and color and good subject. The problem I have with it is the separation between the old barn and subject chimney. It's distracting. It divides the attention of the viewer between the two. I can think of two solutions. One is to change the angle of the shot and place the barn behind the chimney. I would change the depth of field so that the barn is out of focus. That way the barn is background and all the attention is on the chimney. The second solution would be to shoot only the chimney, again set the DOF so that the background is out of focus and make a long vertical crop out of it. I would also shoot it in such a way that the tilt is emphasized. That will grab the attention of the viewer and begs the question, when will it fall?

Gladiator

Good exposure and color and good subject. The problem I have with it is the separation between the old barn and subject chimney. It's distracting. It divides the attention of the viewer between the two. I can think of two solutions. One is to change the angle of the shot and place the barn behind the chimney. I would change the depth of field so that the barn is out of focus. That way the barn is background and all the attention is on the chimney. The second solution would be to shoot only the chimney, again set the DOF so that the background is out of focus and make a long vertical crop out of it. I would also shoot it in such a way that the tilt is emphasized. That will grab the attention of the viewer and begs the question, when will it fall?
Again thanks for the tips Joseph... here's a few other shots of it i think one will fit the bill as far as distraction is concerned. At first i didn't want to post the one on which we only see a small part of the chimney on the left since people can't tell what it is as a whole. I will go back again and try to have the barn out of focus, didn't have my tripod at that time.

Attachments

• Maison Dupras-1-2.jpg
    Maison Dupras-1-2.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Maison Dupras-100579.jpg
    Maison Dupras-100579.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 97
  • Maison Dupras-100570.jpg
    Maison Dupras-100570.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Maison Dupras-100567.jpg
    Maison Dupras-100567.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 87

Joseph Bautsch

I like the second one down, but the chimney needs a little more breathing room on the right side. To get the buildings in the background out of focus use a longer focal length lens with an f/stop of 2.8 or 3.5. I don't know what lens you have available they are not listed in your profile.