Nikon Nikkor AF-S 35 mm F/1.8 G question

DCP

Is it worth getting a Nikon Nikkor AF-S 35 mm F/1.8 G when I already have a 50 mm? The reason I am thinking I should get one is with the 50mm sometimes indoors I can't get far enough away from the shots I want to take (without running into a wall or appliance etc..). Would the 35mm make much of a difference. I am fairly new to DSLRs and photography. What other uses would I get out of the 35mm?[h=4][/h]

Mike150

According to your profile, you've got the 18-55mm. Try setting that to 50mm, take a few test shots, then set it for 35mm and take a few more. Then you can compare the two examples.

DCP

Thanks Mike didn't think of that :eek: I am really enjoying the 50mm prime lense, pretty much all I have used since I got the camera (mostly outdoors photography).

WhiteLight

I prefer the 35mm over the 50mm especially on DX cameras.
Gives you a lot more room!
Not very expensive & both are great lenses, so you can have the twosome

RockyNH_RIP

Is it worth getting a Nikon Nikkor AF-S 35 mm F/1.8 G when I already have a 50 mm? The reason I am thinking I should get one is with the 50mm sometimes indoors I can't get far enough away from the shots I want to take (without running into a wall or appliance etc..). Would the 35mm make much of a difference. I am fairly new to DSLRs and photography. What other uses would I get out of the 35mm?

I actually have both... I found the 50 required me to often back up further than the walls allowed!!! :)

I use the 35 a little more actually but do like them both.

Pat in NH

Rick M

It is a good lens. Personally, I would not own the 18-55, 35 and 50 simultaneously. I would put that money towards another range you do not have covered already.

Vincent

I see you have a D5200.

This means your 50mm is a 70mm equivalent.
The 35mm would make a 50mm equivalent (the normal standard).
I would certainly look into the 24mm which would make the 35mm equivalent.

Personally I went at this moment to 16mm.
In my personal test: to make the same picture I need to be at the next distance from the subject (profile of a car):
11mm: 3m
16mm: 5m
50mm: 17m
200mm: 53m

I still have to test how much I have to crop for the distances I can not cover, but it seems reasonable.
At 11mm I still have to learn to apply corrections, I find close shots have too much deformation.

But most important how tight are those walls. my 11mm is for cars parked close to walls. What do you really need?

Moab Man

Absolutely get the 35! I much prefer it to the 50 (I have both) and the lens seems darn near infallible where I have never been able to say the same of the 50.