Matrix Metering Issue? Maybe?

fhibbs12

Ok I am confused here.

Scenerio.....

Tripod Mounted aimed at a target in A Mode set to 1.4 or 1.8(I tried 2 different lenses).

When I focus in viewfinder in matrix metering I would sit at 1/60th and when I switched to liveview it would drop to 1/30th and slightly overexpose.... This only happens in matrix metering. I tried spot(which I typically shoot at) and shutter speeds same the same. ISO was static to 400. The targets and lighting never changed, nor the position of the camera. Just pressing the Liveview button caused my shutter to drop.....

Thoughts?

Nathan Lanni

Doesn't the mirror have to flip up for Live View?

It seems the mirror is translucent allowing light to pass through it to hit the meter in viewfinder mode. If the mirror is out of the way during Live View maybe it could affect metering?

Then again I could be having a flash back from my ill spent youth during the '70's. :)

Last edited:

Kodiak

I'm getting the same behaviour on my D3X, D3S and D800E! NO WORRY!
Live view is only a preview, a tool, and does not reflect the "real" take.

The difference may come from the distance to the camera when live viewing,
try closing the viewfinder window if you have the option.

Have a good day…

fhibbs12

No actually exposures of the images are different. And the distance to targets remained the same.

Also, I though on the covering the viewfinder in live view. However, if light was leaking through there the exposure should be faster not slower....

WayneF

When I focus in viewfinder in matrix metering I would sit at 1/60th and when I switched to liveview it would drop to 1/30th and slightly overexpose.... This only happens in matrix metering.

Live View is an entirely different system. The mirror is up, blocking the viewfinder. The focus and the metering in the viewfinder cannot be used. Live view does these things now, in a very different way, using contrast in the pixels in the actual sensor image, instead of in the (better) viewfinder tools.

It would seem more surprising if anything stayed the same. :)

Nikon | Imaging Products | Digital SLR Camera Basics | Metering (Live View Photography)

Last edited: