Do I buy a D4 or wait?

Cowleystjames

I'm going to look at a D4 tomorrow as a higher frame rate camera than my D800e.
What's brought this about? Well, I've started taking racehorse pictures for a few trainers around and about Lambourn, Berkshire, and more and more, I'm being asked for series photographs of a few of them galloping. The D800e is okay for a few frames and then I hit the buffer, whether it's jpeg(better) or raw(I mainly shoot raw but have been using jpeg to get a few more images together, not ideal)
I've been looking at the D4, but I'm concerned with the 16mp over the D800e 36mp and this is a concern as I've had to have some images printed at A1 size, and with the D800e they still look absolutely stunning, but at 16mp?
That's the question, I know how great the D4 is, but with increasing rumours of a possible D5 or D4x with almost certainly a higher megapixel sensor, do I wait or bite the bullet?

Sambr

There is no D5 - there might be a D4x with 36-40 MPs but you wouldn't get the high frame rate or Iso - Buy the D4 you wouldn't regret it.

Rick M

Life is a series of upgrades, get the D4 now and upgrade to the D5 when it comes out. It's not healthy to dwell on such things.

Kodiak

Hi James,

I work everyday with the D3X & D3S and they are my workhorses!

The D4? I'd love to have it… but don't need it really. Since you have

to do a first step, do it right. That is GET THE D4! and spare
no money on good cards!

Case closed, now I wanna see photos…

Have a good time!

Cowleystjames

Life is a series of upgrades, get the D4 now and upgrade to the D5 when it comes out. It's not healthy to dwell on such things.

​To damn right, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night weighing up the pro's and con's. Top of all, if I bite the bullet now, my dealer will throw in another EN-EL18 battery and a 64gb CF Pro card. Bit of a deal maker!

Rick M

​To damn right, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night weighing up the pro's and con's. Top of all, if I bite the bullet now, my dealer will throw in another EN-EL18 battery and a 64gb CF Pro card. Bit of a deal maker!

Well that's it, stop compromising your health! I'm sure your doctor would agree!

Rick M

I had a small book of "zenish" sayings, one of which was "Life is a series of desires". That has stuck with me and I find it to be true in many ways.

Cowleystjames

I had a small book of "zenish" sayings, one of which was "Life is a series of desires". That has stuck with me and I find it to be true in many ways.
Never heard of Zenish sayings so I Googled it, absolute class! My favourite (and it probably applies to me!) “Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed.” - Albert Einstein

RON_RIP

Well I hope this is a lesson learned. You probably should never open a discussion on this site with the phrase " do you think I should buy_______."

donaldjledet

I'm going to look at a D4 tomorrow as a higher frame rate camera than my D800e.
What's brought this about? Well, I've started taking racehorse pictures for a few trainers around and about Lambourn, Berkshire, and more and more, I'm being asked for series photographs of a few of them galloping. The D800e is okay for a few frames and then I hit the buffer, whether it's jpeg(better) or raw(I mainly shoot raw but have been using jpeg to get a few more images together, not ideal)
I've been looking at the D4, but I'm concerned with the 16mp over the D800e 36mp and this is a concern as I've had to have some images printed at A1 size, and with the D800e they still look absolutely stunning, but at 16mp?
That's the question, I know how great the D4 is, but with increasing rumours of a possible D5 or D4x with almost certainly a higher megapixel sensor, do I wait or bite the bullet?

I see you also have the D7100 Its 7fps, isn't enough. I shot the races back home and when I get a change to on the road. I have the D7100
and it works great for me. I've learned the Horse Racing sport ready well. So have a very good idea when to take the photo. with spurts of 3 0r 4 frames as. So buffer doesn't back up.

Cowleystjames

I see you also have the D7100 Its 7fps, isn't enough. I shot the races back home and when I get a change to on the road. I have the D7100
and it works great for me. I've learned the Horse Racing sport ready well. So have a very good idea when to take the photo. with spurts of 3 0r 4 frames as. So buffer doesn't back up.

Sold the D7100, just never used it after buying the D800e. My problem is the trainers want 20 to 30 frames to study the gate of the horses. Can't do it with the D800e.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

donaldjledet

Sold the D7100, just never used it after buying the D800e. My problem is the trainers want 20 to 30 frames to study the gate of the horses. Can't do it with the D800e.

Oh O.K. then its go on and get the D4.
Well then how do you like the D800e for everything else you shoot?

Geoffc

Isn't 60fps video better for their needs? The 800 would do that.

Cowleystjames

Oh O.K. then its go on and get the D4.
Well then how do you like the D800e for everything else you shoot?

The D800e is amazing for landscape and architecture where crispness is key, I'd argue that there isn't a better camera in the land for that type of work providing the lenses are first rate.