ISO 200
116mm
Aperture-priority AE

Attachments

• 20101101-_D109692.jpg
    20101101-_D109692.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 219

Joseph Bautsch

Very good scenic shot. I like it. It gives a sense of pastoral peace. Everyone knows of the 1/3 composition guide line for scenic shots. But there is also a 1/6 guide line which is more difficult to make work. And it's the 1/6 composition you have in this shot and it works very well. One is the green pasture in the foreground, two is the cows, three is the brown woods line, four is the pasture with its green pastures and snow, five is the dark mountains, and finally six is the cloud covered sky. The six levels give the composition a lot of depth. However, you used a portrait format when a scenic format would have worked a lot better to complement the horizontal lines of the scene. A good part of the green pasture in the foreground needs to be cropped out, as it's distracting. It also needs a little more detail in the shadows. Try re-cropping to horizontal and lighten up on the shadows and see how that works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

I agree with Mr. Bautsch, 100%. This is a cool scene, but the vertical orientation makes me feel lost in it. Your 116mm focal length leads me to believe that you had some zoom left, and this image would've had more impact with a tighter crop, perhaps even a single cow instead of the grouping.

Gladiator

Glad i also shot it horizontally, too bad that particular day i was set-up in JPEG and not RAW. It this better to your opinion, wasn't certain what to do with the shadows, i cropped some of the grass below. Thanks Joseph.

Very good scenic shot. I like it. It gives a sense of pastoral peace. Everyone knows of the 1/3 composition guide line for scenic shots. But there is also a 1/6 guide line which is more difficult to make work. And it's the 1/6 composition you have in this shot and it works very well. One is the green pasture in the foreground, two is the cows, three is the brown woods line, four is the pasture with its green pastures and snow, five is the dark mountains, and finally six is the cloud covered sky. The six levels give the composition a lot of depth. However, you used a portrait format when a scenic format would have worked a lot better to complement the horizontal lines of the scene. A good part of the green pasture in the foreground needs to be cropped out, as it's distracting. It also needs a little more detail in the shadows. Try re-cropping to horizontal and lighten up on the shadows and see how that works.

Attachments

• St-Rémie-de-Tingwick-109689.jpg
    St-Rémie-de-Tingwick-109689.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 135

Gladiator

What i liked about this shot was the different layers, mainly the strip of snow contrasting with the grass, if i had shot only 1 cow i would have lost all that. Looking at it horizontally i could probably crop some more on the left and right, what do you think?
I agree with Mr. Bautsch, 100%. This is a cool scene, but the vertical orientation makes me feel lost in it. Your 116mm focal length leads me to believe that you had some zoom left, and this image would've had more impact with a tighter crop, perhaps even a single cow instead of the grouping.

Last edited:

Gladiator

I i ever swing by there again i will see what i can do to add more sky, weather forecast providing of course. I wasn't able to widened the shot very much since there were a lot of man-made crap around this is why i used my zoom, those cows were a bit far. But is this horizontal shot still better than the vertical in your opinion?

Thanks for the help.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Joseph, this was a great critique!

Gladiator, the redo is superb . . . world of difference, and I love the layers, as well. They really make the scene. Good job!

Joseph Bautsch

Gladiator, the redo is great. Adding more sky, in my opinion, would be a plus but is nitpicking a very good shot. To me a little more sky would give it a little more balance but it's very good as is.