Best settings for taking photos at night?

elrey

I've had my D3200 for about two months now. Slowly getting the hang of it. My question is what setting is best for taking pictures at nighttime? I've been switching from auto, to nighttime, to landscape etc. For every one good shot I get, I get 5-6 bad ones. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any info

Also, I'm looking into getting a really good Photo Editing Software, one where I can enhance pics and do all that other good stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks

carguy

Re: Question from a beginner

Welcome :)

Is this your first Digital SLR camera? Do you have much experience with how exposure works on these cameras?

If not, I'd do some research, youtube is a great place to start, checkout the videos by Jared Polin - Photography Tips | Beginner Photography | FroKnowsPhoto - Jared Polin - he has a great way of explaining the basics so they are easy to understand.

Lightroom is a very popular package for editing your images, there are others as well.

singlerosa_RIP

I agree with Joe. Plenty of videos on YouTube; FroKnowsPhoto.com is also good. I also use Lightroom (and Photoshop). For night shots of stationary subjects (like landscape or cityscapes), f/16 or higher, ISO100, tripod w/cable release and whatever shutter speed you need to round out the ISO and aperture (shooting Manual or Aperture). If you're shooting people, then we're talking flash.

Horoscope Fish

My question is what setting is best for taking pictures at nighttime? I've been switching from auto, to nighttime, to landscape etc. For every one good shot I get, I get 5-6 bad ones. Am I doing something wrong?
Well if you're not getting the shot you want you're doing something wrong... The trick is figuring out what. Unfortunately there are no "ideal settings" that work all the time, you have to learn to use the tools at your disposal and how to apply them to the situation to get the shot you want. Personally I would use "A"perture Priorty mode but every situation is different. Also, if you don't know how to read/use Histograms do yourself a huuuge favor and take the five or ten minutes required to read this article: Understanding Histograms and become an expert on the subject. Once you do, you'll start nailing the exposure you want in short order.

Also, I'm looking into getting a really good Photo Editing Software, one where I can enhance pics and do all that other good stuff. Any suggestions?
Well, like my mechanic says, "How fast do you wanna go and how much money do you have?" I'd suggest Photoshop first and foremost but it be pricey; look into an academic license. After that I'd say Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop Elements. For free solutions look at GIMP, Picasa or IRFanview (be sure to get the plug-ins from the same home page). I have, use and love Photoshop, but for free apps, IRFanview is hard to beat. I still use it for super-fast, quick and dirty edits because it's lighter and faster than Photoshop.

Mfrankfort

Wide aperture, slow shutter... Try using just Aperture mode, or just Shutter mode and see what the camera thinks the other one should be, and work from there. Slowly get into manual mode. Once your in M mode, you can do wonderous things with the camera. Auto... A/S...Manual.

RON_RIP

If your on windows I would suggest Picasa. It's free and is good starting point. IPhoto on Apple of course.

pedroj

As said above Aperture Priority...Show us your good and bad with the exif data attached...

elrey

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I guess I'm gonna be glued to YouTube for the next few nights. On another note, can anybody tell me why is it when I try to upload a picture under my profile, it says error file is too big? Thanks again

ViewNX2 that came with your camera is a great software to start with. It will handle all your basic editing needs for now. The best thing is that you already have it and it was free. IF you don't have it for some reason you can download it at ViewNX 2 from Nikon