D5100 with two off camera flashes

§am

Hope people more knowledgeable than me can help me out here.

I know the D5100 doesn't have a flash commander mode built in, therefore you'd need something like a SB-700 on the camera to trigger another remote flash (SB-700).

However, if I wanted to have both SB-700s off camera, what's the best way to do this?
Would something like these wireless flash triggers work;
DB Power Yongnuo RF-603 N3 Wireless Flash Trigger for: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

or maybe these:
Kuchoi K1 TTL wireless flash trigger Transceiver Nikon N3 for D90 D5100 Silver | eBay

Open to other remote wireless trigger ideas too (keeping cost low though).
Also, would iTTL work off camera?

Thanks

Fred Kingston

Basically Sam... any wireless/wired trigger will work... all you're doing is getting one of the SB-700s to fire... from there, the SB-700 does all the work... The iTTL will work because the SB-700, acting as commander is again, doing the iTTL, and not the camera...

§am

Fred - that's only true if one of the SB-700 is on the camera though right?

If both are off the camera, then how does the iTTL work?

Fred Kingston

No... The SB-700 will send out multiple(very quick, you can't see them) bursts and measures the light... and then limits/controls the amount of light, based on the camera's F-stop and ISO... In essence, the SB-700 does all the light metering... there are 2 settings (I am assuming the SB-700 does the same as the SB-910) that determines how the speedlight meters the scene, the closest object, or the entire scene... These should be in the SB-700's documentation...

*caveat... I'm relating to info in the SB-910's manual, which may not be entirely accurate for the SB-700.. :drunk:

carguy

While you can use the on camera flash to fire a remote SB700, can you use the on camera flash to fire TWO remote SB700 units without additional trigger/receivers in play?

Fred Kingston

Yes... you can... For cameras that support the CLS Commander mode... But the OP is talking about the D5100 which, unfortunately, does not... so he'd need something to trigger the off-camera SB-700

carguy

Yes... you can... For cameras that support the CLS Commander mode... But the OP is talking about the D5100 which, unfortunately, does not... so he'd need something to trigger the off-camera SB-700
My D40 can fire the SB700 using my on camera flash, I would assume the D5100 can also.

My thought was that could fire the first SB700 and that SB700 may be able to fire the second?

§am

I think I can fire the first SB-700 using the onboard flash, but it won't do anything with the second SB-700.

Hence my question around triggers.
Would any of the ones in the OP be sufficient to allow the camera to trigger both off camera flashes (and yes I realise I will need more than 2 transcievers), which will still be cheaper than getting an SU-800 :)

Thanks for all the help so far :)

carguy

This is a cheap solution - The price fluxuates between $13 - $30 for this set of entry level triggers

Amazon.com: Cheaplights NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger and 2 Receivers Set for Canon Nikon Pentax,OTT-04GY: Camera & Photo

41qtPKphTAL.jpg

carguy

​A lot of people would like to know how you do that... The D40 does not have a commander mode. How are you triggering the SB-700 that is not connected to the camera?

Not a secret :)

Here is a thread:
http://nikonites.com/flashes/12080-nikon-d40-sb-700-flash-remote.html

Summary:

On the D40:

Manual mode
Custom Settings > 14 Built In Flash > Manual > 1/32 power
Press side button to pop up the flash.

On the SB-700:
Slide on left side set to Manual
Dial on lower right set to REMOTE
Menu > Remote > SU-4

§am

Could that D40 trick work with the D5100 and 2 SB-700s?
I will have to experiment :)

My ultimate aim is to use the D5100 with 2 SB-700s on umbrellas to do some photography, hence the potential need for wireless triggers.

carguy

Could that D40 trick work with the D5100 and 2 SB-700s?
I will have to experiment :)

My ultimate aim is to use the D5100 with 2 SB-700s on umbrellas to do some photography, hence the potential need for wireless triggers.
Not sure, I have one SB700, but have two SB-24 units. I could try it out tonight.

Mfrankfort

To get off camera flashes to fire in i-ttl, you need i-ttl triggers. Yongnuo 622 ittl.. Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex.. Both are hot-shoe mounted, so the camera thinks it's attached. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm right. haha.

carguy

To get off camera flashes to fire in i-ttl, you need i-ttl triggers. Yongnuo 622 ittl.. Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex.. Both are hot-shoe mounted, so the camera thinks it's attached. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm right. haha.

Correct. That, or sync cords.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Mfrankfort

I've been looking into off camera flash, and I found some really cheap ways to get your flashes off camera and still use TTL. Cowboy studio, Yongnuo... both make pretty solid products (from what I've looked at) for fairly cheap. The yongnuo ones are pretty new, and they're around 80usd for 2. 130 for 3. Which is much better than 500 for 2 of the Pocket Wizard system.